CALL TODAY

888-333-8882

How Many Slip-and-Fall Cases Go to Trial?

Studies published by Hopkins Medicine show that slips and falls are among the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the United States. Most victims of these accidents have to contend with insurance companies while juggling accumulating medical bills, lost income, and physical pain. When negotiations break down, they may be forced to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.

If you are considering filing a lawsuit for damages, consult our Huntington Beach Personal Injury Attorneys with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to find out if this is the way to go.

Slip-and-Fall Accident Statistics

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 3 million older adults visit emergency rooms every year for fall injuries. More than 800,000 are hospitalized, with hip fractures and head injuries being the most prevalent injuries. The report also shows that slips and falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).

Although slip-and-fall injuries affect people of all ages, older citizens are in more danger when they fall, even on level surfaces. They commonly report injuries that may include:

  • Bruises and lacerations
  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Back injuries
  • Neck or shoulder injuries

The picture painted by these statistics confirms the assertions by the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) that fall injuries are one of the leading causes of hospital visits. They can have severe repercussions on victims, physically, emotionally, and financially. 

Will Your Case Go to Trial?

Of all personal injury cases, only 2% go to trial, although the number may vary across states. The rest, which is about 98%, either reach a non-trial resolution by settlement or a court summary judgment. This means that the chances of your case going to trial are minimal.

Trails tend to be time-consuming, costly, and stressful, which may explain why many people prefer to resolve their claims out of court. Some victims may also wish to protect their families from the publicity of a court trial.

Which Slip-and-Fall Cases Go to Trial?

In some cases, the only way to settle a personal injury claim is to file a lawsuit. This is a common outcome where there are reasonable disputes between the involved parties, including:

  • When one party disputes fault for the accident
  • When a actual pieces of the case are missing
  • When the at-fault party is offering way less than the settlement amount and refuses to negotiate
  • When the at-fault party is under or uninsured

Essentially, parties will opt for a lawsuit when there is no foreseeable way to reach a settlement. 

Talk to a Huntington Beach Personal Injury Attorney

How many slip-and-fall cases go to trial? When it comes to personal injury cases, most claims are settled during the negotiation stage. Both the victim and the insurance company try to avoid the stress and cost of a trial as much as possible, which is not to say that you should settle for less than you deserve.

The Huntington Beach Personal Injury Attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers are dedicated to helping you get the best outcome from your case. We will negotiate your settlement vigorously and represent you in court if the need arises. If you have been injured, contact us at 888-540-0325 to schedule a consultation.