Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyers
Uber remains the dominant ridesharing service in California and throughout the United States. The company reports that it has more than 150,000 active ridesharing drivers operating in our state. There are tens of thousands of Ubers in the Los Angeles metropolitan area alone.
With that many Uber vehicles on the road, accidents are bound to happen. If you are involved in a crash with an Uber; whether as a passenger, pedestrian, or in your vehicle, you need to know how to protect your rights. You may be wondering: Can you sue Uber after being injured in a crash? The answer is ‘yes’, but that is not the first step.
If you or your loved one was hurt in an Uber accident either as a passenger, another driver, or a pedestrian, our Los Angeles Uber accident lawyers can help.
What Should You Do After an Uber Accident in Los Angeles?
If you were injured in any type of Uber accident, you must take immediate action to protect your legal rights and financial interests. Specifically, Uber accident victims should be prepared to do the following four things after a crash:
- Report the accident to the police;
- Seek a comprehensive medical evaluation (emergency care if necessary);
- Use the Uber app or their website to file a preliminary crash report; and
- Seek professional guidance from a Los Angeles Uber accident attorney.
An Overview of Uber’s Insurance Policy: Who is Liable for an Accident?
From an insurance perspective, ridesharing is complicated. A ridesharing vehicle is used both as a personal car and a commercial car. Different insurance policies apply depending on the specific situation. Our state put laws in place to protect the rights and interests of ridesharing passengers and to ensure that major ridesharing companies (Uber and Lyft) are held accountable.
In 2015, the California Department of Insurance announced the implementation of a new regulation mandating that all ridesharing companies cover their passengers with a minimum $1 million commercial liability policy. In other circumstances, such as when there is no passenger in the vehicle, an “Uber” may only be covered by a contingent policy or the driver’s personal policy.
Our Los Angeles Uber accident attorneys are prepared to review and investigate your ridesharing accident and take action to hold all responsible parties, including Uber, legally liable.
Los Angeles Uber Accident Victims Deserve Full Compensation
Uber accident victims may be eligible for financial compensation for the full extent of their damages. Unfortunately, recovering full and fair compensation, even if you can prove liability, can often be difficult. Uber and its insurance carriers are generally aggressive in handling personal injury cases.
They try to resolve claims for the lowest amount possible. At the office of El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our Los Angeles Uber accident attorneys know how to hold the company and insurers accountable. Among other things, financial relief may be available for the following:
- Emergency medical care;
- Other medical bills;
- Ongoing rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement;
- Long-term disability; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Steps for Filing an Uber Accident Injury Claim
Uber accident victims in Los Angeles need financial compensation to pay their bills and support their loved ones. The responsible party must be held responsible, but this does not mean that you should run to court and file a lawsuit. Most personal injury claims are settled before litigation.
Further, there are steps that you need to take before a lawsuit can be filed against Uber. Here are five things to do after an Uber accident:
- Get immediate medical attention for any injuries;
- Report the accident to law enforcement;
- Try to proactively document the crash, including taking pictures;
- Notify Uber that you were involved in a collision; and
- Consult with an attorney before talking to Uber or its insurer.
Your lawyer will help you gather the evidence, records, and other information needed to pursue a claim. You may have a claim against Uber and/or another insurance company. Your Los Angeles Uber accident lawyer will help you build a strong case, represent you in settlement negotiations, and remain ready to take your claim to court.
Insurance Requirements for Rideshare Companies
Whether or not Lyft will cover a rideshare accident depends on the “period” in which the driver is in. They are outlined as follows:
- Period 0. This is when the rideshare app is off, meaning the driver is not currently working. Therefore, if a crash occurs, the driver’s personal auto insurance will apply at this stage.
- Period 1. This is when the rideshare app is on and the driver is waiting for a ride request. At this stage, Lyft will provide $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident for bodily injury, as well as $25,000 per accident for property damage.
- Period 2. This is when the app is on and the driver is on their way to pick up passengers or already has passengers in the vehicle. Lyft provides $1 million in auto liability, as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage (a $2,500 deductible applies).
- There also may be other policies of insurance that are not disclosed initially.
- Even if there is no additional Insurance, our firm has had success arguing that Lyft drivers are agents of the parent corporation. Because the parent corporation, Lyft, is publicly traded and well capitalized, in essence there is an unlimited amount of coverage
Get Help From Our Los Angeles Uber Accident Attorneys Today
At our law firm, our California motor vehicle accident lawyers represent victims of Uber accidents. We are committed to helping our clients maximize their financial recovery. If you or your loved one was injured in an Uber accident, please contact our legal team for a free initial consultation or give us a call at (213) 985-1120.
With law offices in Los Angeles, Huntington Beach, and Sherman Oaks, we serve communities throughout Southern California.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> DISTRACTED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I recommend this law firm to anyone that needs legal advice. They were professional, courteous, and knowledgeable when I contacted them to handle my car accident. I wish I had used them for my previous case, but at least I now know who to contact to handle future cases.
Aldo A. Los Angeles, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours