Los Angeles Uber Accident Attorney
Uber and Lyft remain dominant ridesharing services in California and throughout the United States. Uber reports that it has more than 150,000 active independent contractors operating in our state. With that many rideshare vehicles on the road, accidents are bound to happen. If you or a loved one have been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident you should contact our rideshare accident attorneys in Los Angeles today.
What Should You Do After an Uber Accident in Los Angeles?
If you were injured in any type of rideshare accident, you must take immediate action to protect your legal rights and financial interests. Here are four key things you need to do if you are ever involved in an accident involving Uber or Lyft drivers.
- Report the accident to the police;
- Seek a comprehensive medical evaluation (emergency care if necessary);
- Use the Uber app or their website to file a preliminary crash report; and
- Seek professional guidance from a Los Angeles Uber accident attorney.
Insurance Requirements for Rideshare Companies
Whether or not Lyft will cover a rideshare accident depends on the “period” in which the driver is in. They are outlined as follows:
- Period 0. This is when the rideshare app is off, meaning the driver is not currently working. Therefore, if a crash occurs, the driver’s personal auto insurance will apply at this stage.
- Period 1. This is when the rideshare app is on and the driver is waiting for a ride request. At this stage, Lyft will provide $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident for bodily injury, as well as $25,000 per accident for property damage.
- Period 2. This is when the app is on and the driver is on their way to pick up passengers or already has passengers in the vehicle. Lyft provides $1 million in auto liability, as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage (a $2,500 deductible applies).
- There also may be other policies of insurance that are not disclosed initially.
- Even if there is no additional Insurance, our firm has had success arguing that Lyft drivers are agents of the parent corporation. Because the parent corporation, Lyft, is publicly traded and well capitalized, in essence there is an unlimited amount of coverage.
In 2015, the California Department of Insurance announced the implementation of a new regulation mandating that all ridesharing companies’ insurance coverage cover their passengers with a minimum $1 million commercial liability policy. Lyft’s website states the following about its third-party liability insurance.
“Lyft maintains third-party liability insurance for covered accidents if your personal insurance does not apply of at least:
- $50,000/person for bodily injury
- $100,000/accident for bodily injury
- $25,000/accident for property damage
Except covered accidents occurring in Arizona and Nebraska; where the third-party liability insurance is $25,000/per person for bodily injury; $50,000/per accident for bodily injury and $20,000/per accident for property damage; consistent with state requirements.”
Should you or someone you know be injured in a rideshare accident, our firm can help. Reach out to our Lyft accident attorneys for help navigating California law and holding negligent drivers accountable for their reckless actions.
Rideshare Accident Victims Deserve Full Compensation
Our Uber accident lawyers are dedicated to helping injured victims recover compensation for medical expenses, loss of work, therapy, and other damages. Recovering full and fair compensation, even if you can prove liability, can often be difficult if you do it on your own. Uber and its insurance carriers are generally aggressive in handling personal injury cases.
Our law firm knows how to hold the rideshare company and insurers accountable. Among other things, financial relief may be available for the following:
- Emergency medical care;
- Other medical bills;
- Ongoing rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement;
- Long-term disability; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Steps for Filing an Uber Accident Injury Claim
Uber accident victims in Los Angeles need financial compensation to pay their bills and support their loved ones. The responsible party must be held responsible, but this does not mean that you should run to court and file a lawsuit. Most personal injury claims are settled before litigation.
Further, there are steps that you need to take before a lawsuit can be filed against Uber. Here are five things to do after an Uber accident:
- Get immediate medical attention for any injuries;
- Report the accident to law enforcement;
- Try to proactively document the crash, including taking pictures;
- Notify Uber that you were involved in a collision; and
- Consult with an attorney before talking to Uber or its insurer.
Our rideshare accident lawyer will help you gather the evidence, records, and other information needed to pursue a claim. You may have a claim against Uber, Lyft, or another insurance company and our firm can help you file that claim properly.
Get Help From Our Los Angeles Uber Accident Attorneys Today
At our law firm, our California motor vehicle accident lawyers represent victims of Uber accidents. We are committed to helping our clients maximize their financial recovery. If you or your loved one was injured in an Uber accident, please contact our legal team for a free initial consultation or give us a call at (213) 985-1120
With law offices in Los Angeles, Huntington Beach, and Torrance, our personal injury lawyers serve communities throughout Southern California.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
The team here is the most professional group of people I have ever worked with. They took care of me from day one and made sure that I was included and understood every step of the process. Gaby checked in regularly to make sure treatment was going well and to give me updates about my case. The team here really shows that they care for their clients and make sure that you are compensated for all your troubles.
Michel G., East Los Angeles, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours