Los Angeles Violent Crime Attorney
At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our Los Angeles violent crime lawyers are tireless and justice-driven advocates for our clients. A conviction for a violent criminal offense could change your entire life. It is imperative that you have the highest level of personalized representation from your lawyer. If you have any questions or concerns about a violent criminal offense, we are more than ready to help. To arrange your strictly confidential consultation with a top California violent crime defense lawyer, please contact us at our Los Angeles office today.
California Takes Violent Criminal Charges Very Seriously
As explained by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC), a violent crime is defined as homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and other offenses involving the use of physical force. Even in an era when many people are pushing for criminal justice reform, lawmakers, prosecutors, and police in California take violent crime allegations very seriously. These offenses must always be handled with the utmost degree of attention. A conviction for a violent criminal offense in California can carry severe penalties, including long prison sentences, major fines, and a criminal record.
What to Do If You are Arrested for a Violent Crime in Los Angeles
Were you arrested for a violent crime charge in Southern California? It is of the utmost importance that you take immediate action to protect your rights and your interests. Here are three key steps to take if you have been charged with a violent criminal offense in Los Angeles:
- Never Attempt to Resist an Arrest
- Exercise Your Right to Remain Silent (Police are Not On Your Side)
- Consult With a Top Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer
An Overview of Violent Criminal Charges We Handle in Los Angeles
In California, there are several types of criminal charges that are considered to be violent crimes. These types of crimes involve the use or threat of physical force against another person and can result in serious legal consequences if a person is convicted. At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer has the tenacity, legal knowledge, and commitment to justice to help people navigate these serious offenses. We will make sure your case is handled the right way. A non-exhaustive list of violent criminal charges that we handle in Los Angeles includes:
- Domestic Violence: In California, it is a criminal offense to harm, or threaten to harm, an intimate partner or another household member. In some cases, domestic violence is charged without actual physical abuse. Though, these allegations are always a serious matter. Contact our Los Angeles domestic violence defense lawyer for immediate help.
- Aggravated Assault: Under California law, aggravated assault is the attempt to threaten to harm someone with a dangerous and deadly weapon (California Penal Code § 245). It is a very serious felony criminal offense.
- Robbery: Robbery is not the same thing as theft. It is a violent criminal offense that involves the taking of property through the use of force or fear. In California, robbery is a felony. Contact our Los Angeles robbery defense attorney today for immediate assistance.
- Sexual Assault: Sexual assault involves the actual use of force or the threat of force. In California, sexual assault is considered to be a violent crime—even if the accuser is not claiming injuries. If you or your loved one was arrested and charged with sexual assault, contact our Los Angeles violent crimes defense attorney for a confidential consultation.
- Carjacking: Carjacking is one of the most serious criminal offenses in California. It occurs when a person steals a vehicle that is occupied. By definition, carjacking involves the use of actual force or the actionable threat of violence. It is a very serious felony offense that carries substantial prison time.
- Manslaughter: Manslaughter occurs when a person is killed because of the unlawful act of another. Manslaughter is a very serious felony offense. Though, it is not as serious as murder. The key difference between manslaughter and murder is that there is no malice on the part of the offender. A drunk driver who kills a pedestrian could potentially face a felony manslaughter charge. Even without malice, it is still a violent act.
- Murder: Murder is the most serious criminal charge that a person can face in California. The most serious type of murder charge—a first-degree murder—carries the possibility of life in prison without any opportunity for parole in California.
Why Rely On Our Los Angeles Violent Crime Defense Attorney
A violent criminal charge is always a very serious matter. Prosecutors often push for very harsh criminal penalties in these cases. At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, we understand how much is at stake for our clients. Taking a proactive and personalized approach to each and every case, our Los Angeles violent crimes defense attorneys are prepared to:
- Answer your questions and review the charges against you;
- Investigate the arrest and the allegations, gather relevant evidence;
- Handle all of the correspondence with police and prosecutors; and
- Develop a strategy to best protect your rights and secure your future.
Violent Crime Charges in Los Angeles: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Makes Violent Crime Charges Different?
Violent crime charges are different from other types of criminal charges because they typically carry more severe penalties and are often subject to aggressive prosecution. It is not uncommon for the state to seek the maximum penalties—or close to it—when pursuing violent criminal charges. For this reason, it is especially important that you have a top Los Angeles defense lawyer on your side.
Should I Talk to Police or Prosecutors After an Arrest?
No. You should not speak to police or prosecutors after being arrested for a violent criminal offense unless you have a defense attorney on your side. The Fifth Amendment guarantees you the right to avoid answering any police/prosecutor questions without facing adverse consequences. Protect yourself: decline to answer questions without your lawyer present.
Will I Get Bail and How Much Will it Be?
Whether or not you will be granted bail, and the amount of bail that will be set, in California, will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. The state of California has a bail schedule that lists the bail amounts for different types of offenses. However, the final decision of bail is left to the discretion of the judge, who will take several factors into consideration, such as the nature and seriousness of the crime, your criminal history, and whether you are considered a flight risk or a danger to the community.
Should I Take a Plea Bargain in My Criminal Case?
Relatively few criminal cases actually go to trial. It is far more common for a conviction to come through a plea agreement than a guilty verdict. It may be the best option for your situation to work towards a favorable outcome through a plea deal that reduces the charges and/or the penalties. However, that always depends on the specific nature of the case. An experienced Los Angeles violent crimes defense lawyer can help you navigate the plea bargain process.
Call Our Violent Crime Lawyer in Los Angeles Today
At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our violent crime attorneys in Los Angeles have extensive experience handling violent crime charges. If you or your family member were arrested and charged with a violent offense, we can help. Contact us today for a fully private, no-obligation consultation. From our Los Angeles office, we defend violent crime charges throughout Southern California.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> DISTRACTED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I want to thank El Dabe Ritter Trial lawyer they are best, they alway find ways to help even if is a hard case, they all very kind and they treated me with respect, thank you again for helping me it's a pleasure to have you as my lawyers.
Karina Q., Los Angeles, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours