Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer
Our Los Angeles car accident attorneys have over 20 years of experience successfully representing clients in auto accident cases across Los Angeles County and other areas of Southern California. With more than $75,000,000 recovered for clients and counting, you can be confident in our firm’s abilities, resources, and professionalism in handling your case.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident do not hesitate to contact our firm at (213) 985-1120. We are open 24/7 to take your call and help you get started on the path to fair and full financial compensation.
What Should You Do If You’re Involved in an Auto Accident in Los Angeles?
- Assess Yourself for Injuries: Sustaining a personal injury is a common occurrence in an auto accident. When this happens, you should call 911 or let someone else do it on your behalf. Avoid moving as this may intensify your injury. If you become involved in an accident in the Los Angeles area, your first call should be for medical help, followed by a call to a car accident attorney.Be aware that not all medical problems show up in the first few minutes or longer after a car accident. You may think that back pain means only a sprain, but it may be much more serious and should be examined immediately.
- Check on Your Passengers: If you had a passenger in the car, you can also seek emergency services or ask someone else to do so. Your second contact after an accident in the area should be a Los Angeles car accident lawyer who is well experienced in identifying and weighing all factors that have played a part in your accident. For instance, you are driving in the rain and an approaching car has a blowout and hits you.Who or what is at fault? As your car accident attorney, we will work to uncover the facts. Is the poorly constructed or bumpy road at fault? Was the other driver drinking? What made the tire blow out?
- Find Somewhere Safe: If you are not seriously hurt, you can drive the car to the roadside, where you are safe from other road users. However, car accident attorneys would advise you to leave it at the scene of the accident to avoid tampering with the evidence.
- Call the Police: The police are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring the safety of the citizens and property. They will fill out the details of the accident detailing how and when it happened. If the accident was a minor one, you can drive to the nearest police station and report the accident. Remember, your insurer may request a copy of the police report to process your claims.
- Exchange Important Information with the Other Driver: Whether you are at fault or someone else caused the accident, exchanging information is crucial. You will probably want the other driver to have your contact information, insurance policy number, model of the car, and license plates. An adjuster will assess the vehicles/ property damaged to facilitate the insurance claim process.
- Inform Your Insurer and Start Processing Your Claims: Calling your insurance representative while you are at the scene will facilitate a smoother claim process. The insurance company will tell you exactly what they need to process your claim.
Should I Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident That Wasn’t My Fault?
Even if you are unsure of your case validity, you should at least consult an attorney to see if it is an incident worth pursuing. Under California law, a motorist who is not at fault for an accident could be entitled to receive compensation in a settlement or a lawsuit. This is what makes California a “fault” state when it comes to car accidents. The motorist who is at fault must pay compensation to victims to cover medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Questions You Should Ask Your Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney Before Hiring Them
- Experience and Expertise:
- How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine before?
- Case Evaluation:
- What is your initial assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
- What potential challenges or obstacles do you foresee?
- Legal Fees and Costs:
- What are your fees and how do you charge for your services?
- Are there any upfront costs, or do you work on a contingency fee basis?
- What happens if I lose my case?
- How often can I expect updates on the progress of my case?
- What is the firm’s preferred method of communication? (Email, phone, in-person meetings)
- Investigation and Evidence:
- How will you gather evidence to support my case?
- What role will I play in providing information or evidence?
- Insurance Coverage:
- How will you deal with the insurance companies involved?
- What steps will be taken if the at-fault party is underinsured or uninsured?
- Timeline and Expectations:
- What is the expected timeline for resolving my case?
- What outcomes should I realistically anticipate?
- Settlement vs. Trial:
- How do you determine whether to settle or go to trial?
- What is your approach to negotiation with the opposing party?
- Client Involvement:
- How can I actively contribute to the success of my case?
- What should I avoid doing during the legal process?
- Legal Team and Resources:
- Will you be the primary attorney handling my case, or will others be involved?
- What resources or support staff are available to assist with my case?
California Auto Accident Statistics
Statistics gathered and sourced from the California Office of Traffic Safety.
Main Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents in Los Angeles
Auto accidents are all too common. This is, perhaps, because no one seems to walk in the city. On any given day, in any given hour in California, virtually everyone is on wheels.
The excess traffic on the roads inadvertently results in numerous cases of Los Angeles car accidents. A wide range of factors can cause these traffic accidents. The three major ones are:
- Distracted Driving: This includes anything from self-grooming, putting on makeup, talking to passengers, attending to children or pets, cracked or dirty windshields, driving at night, using a map or GPS device, changing the music or adjusting the volume, looking out the window/rubbernecking and eating or drinking.
- Driving Under the Influence
- Product Liability: If an accident is caused by a vehicle fault there may be liability on the manufacturer. Product liability can relate to defective tires, blinkers, brakes, gas pedals, and other vehicle features.
- Aggressive Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Dangerous Road Conditions
- Disregard For Traffic Signs
- Rear-End Collisions
- Drowsy Drivers
- Careless Intersection Maneuvers
Types of Car Accidents in Los Angeles, California
- Rear-end Accidents
- T-bone Accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Right-turn Accidents
- Sideswipe Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Failure To Yield Accidents
Common Car Accident Injuries Sustained Around Los Angeles County
Depending on the severity of the wreck, accidents on the road in Los Angeles often result in the following common injuries:
- Whiplash: The most common car accident injury, occurs when a car is hit by another vehicle or slams into a structure. Very often, you may not realize you have whiplash. Symptoms like back and neck pain are likely to manifest days after the accident.
- Head and Neck Injuries: If a seat belt is not fastened correctly or not fastened at all, the driver or passenger may be thrust against the steering wheel or dashboard. This impact may cause headaches, blurred vision, and even memory loss.
- Back Injuries: May be caused by a broken bone or fractured disc.
- Broken or Fractured Bones: Hip and leg fractures are common injuries for Los Angeles car accidents.
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Most car accident injuries may not be evident immediately after the accident. However, if treatment is delayed, the repercussions may be traumatic to car accident victims.
Proving Negligence in California Car Accident Cases
California is a fault state. After an accident, you will need to file an insurance claim to receive compensation for personal injuries and damages to your car. This works when someone else is at fault.
But if you caused the accident, your insurer is liable to pay the complainant for the personal injury they may have sustained, as well as other losses. Thus, Los Angeles car accident lawyers need to prove negligence on behalf of their clients. To do this, they have to show that the other driver:
- Had a responsibility to operate their vehicle safely
- Breached that responsibility
- Caused the accident through their actions
- Directly caused your injuries and monetary losses
Our lawyers can also pursue an injury claim against a county, city, or state if the accident was due to a defect in the road, faulty traffic sign, or inoperable street light. Additionally, we may bring a liability lawsuit against the distributor or automaker of a vehicle with mechanical defects.
How Do You Calculate the Value of a Car Accident Claim?
The worth of your car accident claim in Los Angeles depends on the extent and nature of your injuries and damages or losses to your vehicle or property. The more significant the injuries, damages, and losses, the higher the value of your claim. Overall, car accident victims in California are liable for compensation for physical, nonphysical, and punitive damage.
Typical items included in a compensation claim include:
- Medical bills: If your accident results in injuries, you will need to get treatment and rehabilitation, which can be costly. Your complaint should cover the cost of emergency treatment, surgery, hospitalization, medication, medical equipment, and physical or rehabilitative therapy.
- Loss of wages or earning capacity: Your injuries can force you to take some days off work for recovery. This can lead to loss of wages, for which you will need to be compensated. Additionally, if your injuries result in a permanent disability that causes you to lose your source of income, you should set a claim for the loss of future income.
- Non-monetary damages: Accidents cause significant trauma to both car accident victims and their families. Non-monetary claims include damages and losses that cannot be counted in dollars. It covers all nonphysical injuries such as emotional distress, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
Our auto lawyers will work diligently to get you the maximum possible remuneration for your anguish and suffering.
Contact An Experienced Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer Today
You are the victim, and we want to make sure that you do not spend your after-accident period in a frenzied fight with insurance companies. Let our experienced Los Angeles car accident attorneys help you.
If it concerns a car accident in the Los Angeles area, let us begin to work for your complete recovery.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
So glad I went with Eldabe Ritter for my accident case. They kept constant communication with me, always answered my questions, and were very professional. In the end I got a great settlement. I didn't have health insurance so thankfully all my medical bills were paid. Everything was taken care of! Being in an accident can be very difficult to go through, but they definitely made the process a lot smoother! I'm referring all my friend and family here. Thank you guys!
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours