Riding the bus is a great way to save money on transportation costs, as maintaining a vehicle can get very expensive. Moreover, many patrons of buses are unable to afford cars and as a result of their socioeconomic status must ride the bus. However, riding in a bus or any other vehicle comes with risks involved.
You don’t hear about bus crashes too often, but when you do, it’s often because fatalities were involved. While buses are generally very sturdy and therefore very safe, they are not immune from accidents. They can still get involved in serious crashes and because they are so heavy, they can cause serious injuries to occupants, and vehicle riders alike..
Buses are also built uniquely to provide Comfort for passengers which sometimes makes them top-heavy. However along with being top-heavy comes the additional risk of rollover. . The additional risk of rollover create a higher possibility of serious injuries.
If you have been injured in a bus crash, be sure to protect your legal rights because nobody else will do it for you. Contact a bus accident lawyer in Los Angeles to understand your rights to compensation. Because many buses are operated by public entities, either cities or municipalities,, the time limits to make a claim if you are injured in a bus accident are shorter than a normal personal injury case. In California the law requires that you file a claim within 6 months of the injury if a public entity is responsible for the injury. For example in Los Angeles if you are injured in an MTA bus you must file a claim using the MTA claim form promptly. The requirements on the form are strict and must be complied with so your rights are not prejudiced.
Causes of Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can happen in a number of ways, such as the following:
- Bus company negligence. Bus companies have a lot of responsibilities. They must maintain their buses and train drivers, among other things. Otherwise, they can be considered negligent.
- Bus driver negligence. Bus drivers can also be negligent if they are not driving in a proper and safe manner. This means not texting or driving while distracted in other ways. This also means not speeding or driving in a reckless manner.
- Bus driver fatigue. Bus drivers must follow hours of service laws and avoid driving when fatigued. It is also believed that bus drivers have high rates of sleep apnea, which can also make a driver tired.
- Bad weather. Rain, ice, and snow can make it difficult to maneuver a bus. Bus drivers must be careful in these conditions and avoid speeding. They should be properly trained on proper maneuvers.
- Blind spots. Buses are long and therefore tend to have large blind spots. Drivers should be very careful when making lane changes.
- Other drivers. Bus accidents are not always caused by bus drivers. Other drivers may drive recklessly around buses, causing serious accidents.
Liability in Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can be complex because there are many parties who could be liable for the crash. They include the following:
- Bus drivers
- Other drivers
- Bus company
- Government entity for a confusing or dangerous intersection
- Bus maintenance company
- Tour bus operators
- School boards and districts
- Auto part manufacturers
Contact a Bus Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles
Bus accidents can occur in many ways. While buses are generally very safe, it’s not uncommon for riders to still suffer from serious injuries and other damages.
Your first step after a bus accident is to seek immediate medical attention. The next step is to protect your legal rights. The personal injury lawyers at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers can help. Schedule a free consultation by filling out the online form or calling (213) 985-1120.