With the I-10 Express cutting through our city, El Monte sees its fair share of car accidents. Drivers collide with each other, and with fixed objects nearly every day. In fact, recent statistics kept by the state show that almost 550 people suffered injuries in a car accident in 2016.
If you have been injured in a collision, reach out to an El Monte car accident lawyer. You might be entitled to monetary compensation for your injuries.
Types of Car Accidents
As experienced attorneys, we have seen all types of car accidents in El Monte, including:
- Head on collisions. These are particularly dangerous car accidents. They often happen because one driver is drunk or intoxicated and swerves into oncoming traffic. Other drivers might become distracted by a cell phone or fall asleep and drift into the other lane.
- Sideswipes. When two vehicles are side by side, one can sideswipe the other. These accidents often happen when there are problems merging into traffic or one driver tries to pass illegally.
- T-bone collisions. Also called “side impact collisions,” T-bone accidents often occur at intersections. One vehicle rams into another at a 90-degree angle. T-bone collisions can cause serious injuries since cars often lack sufficient structural protection at the sides.
- Rear-end collisions. These type of fender benders often happen at red lights or stop signs and can happen in parking lots.
- Rollovers. Some vehicles rollover when a tire digs into soft dirt or the vehicle tries to make a turn while going up or downhill. Some rollovers happen because of a defect in the vehicle.
If you have been involved in a crash, you should seek immediate medical help. Either call an ambulance to the scene or go to the doctor or hospital as soon as you can.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Our lawyers have met with people injured in El Monte car accidents and have seen some horrible injuries, including:
- Fractures, particularly in the arms, legs, hands, and face. A facial fracture can be particularly upsetting because it can disfigure someone’s appearance which is hard to hide.
- Contusions. Deep bruises do more than cause a black and blue spot. They can also put pressure on nearby nerves, causing constant pain. Contusions can also cause a breakdown of muscle which can lead to shock.
- Cuts or lacerations. If not properly cleaned, they can become infected. Deep cuts can also cause disfiguring scars.
- Whiplash. In an accident, the head can be forced forward before snapping back like a whip. This motion damages ligaments in the neck and upper shoulders, leading to pain, sleeplessness, dizziness, and other disruptive symptoms.
- Head injuries. Many motorists and passengers suffer injuries to their eyes and ears, or they suffer bad lacerations of the scalp.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Any shaking of the brain can alter how it works, leading to impairments with balance, memory, sleep, mobility, and memory. A TBI can also cause changes to your personality.
- Spinal cord injuries. Damage to the spinal column can cause paralysis and loss of sensation. Some injuries respond to rehabilitation but others don’t, leaving many victims permanently disabled.
As you receive treatment, remember to keep a careful record of your medical bills. Save all bills from hospitals, doctors, and therapists, as well as receipts for prescription drugs and assistive devices like crutches or a wheelchair. These can help show how much medical care you needed.
What is Pain and Suffering?
Many of our clients receive money to cover economic losses—lost income, property damage, and medical care. But car accident victims in El Monte can also receive compensation for less tangible harms such as:
- Physical pain
These losses are very real. Nevertheless, we think of them as “intangible” because they do not come with a price tag.
Pain and suffering damages are designed to make up for the reduction in your quality of life after a car accident. Meet with a seasoned El Monte car accident lawyer to discuss how much compensation might be available.
Legal Guidance When You Need it the Most
Car accidents in El Monte leave too many people badly injured and with little resources to cover their economic expenses. Fortunately, California law allows you to hold the at-fault driver responsible for the accident by seeking a settlement or filing a lawsuit.
Contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Attorneys today. We are one of the leading law firms in this area and will be pleased to meet with you if you call or fill out our contact form. We offer a free, confidential consultation.