(213) 985-1120

Who to Call for Reckless Driving

The California Vehicle Code describes reckless driving as driving a motor vehicle “in willful violation or disregard for the safety of persons and property.” It is illegal to drive recklessly on public roads or private parking facilities. 

Reckless driving is a criminal offense. If you report a driver for reckless driving, they may face criminal penalties. A reckless driver may face up to 90 days in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, or both. Your driver’s license may be suspended. The DMV may take certain actions against the driver. They will impose two points on their driving record.

If you are involved in an accident due to reckless driving, contact your Los Angeles car accident attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to learn more about your legal rights.

Call the Police

The most important people to call when you identify a reckless driver are a police. You should contact the police only if y if you are certain that the other driver is being reckless. You may contact the police if you notice signs of road rage, excessive swerving, tailgating, ignoring traffic lights, weaving between lanes, and street racing. 

When contacting the police, you should have all the important details. Take note of the car’s appearance including its make and model, how many doors it has, the number of people that appear to be in it, whether the windows are tinted, and any distinctive bumper stickers. 

Call 911

If people’s lives are in danger, you may have to call 911. Describe the car that the negligent driver is driving and why you think they were being negligent. You also need to know where the car is and where it is headed. Provide them with as much helpful information as you can. 

Call the Number on the “How’s My Driving” Sticker

If the other driver has a ‘How’s my driving?’ sticker, call the number on it. Explain how they were being negligent and provide their ID number. If they don’t have the sticker but they were driving a company car, you can contact their employer and lodge your complaint. This is only possible if the driver is in a marked company vehicle or truck. 

Contact Your Local DMV

 If you know a reckless driver, you may report them to your local DMV. You may ask your local department of motor vehicles to give the driver a new driving exam. Where possible, provide their driver’s license number and license plate number. You may also need to state your relationship and why you think it should be reexamined. 

Contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers

If you need the help of Los Angeles car accident attorneys, consider working with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers. We have recovered over $50 million on behalf of our clients. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and receive the compensation you deserve.