A slip-and-fall accident can be as stressful as it is unexpected. As such, it is normal to feel scared and confused immediately afterward. You may not even know where to begin. Nonetheless, your ability to get fair compensation is tied to what you do after your accident. This is why it is vital that you learn what to do after a slip-and-fall accident.
If you slip, trip, or fall on public or private property, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. A Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers can help protect your rights.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
Following a slip-and-fall accident, your health is of the utmost importance. You also need to protect your right to seek compensation for your injuries. After a slip-and-fall accident:
- Seek Medical Assistance: If you have been hurt, seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor can assess, document, and treat your injuries. These records will serve as vital evidence in your personal injury case later. Remember, you should seek medical attention even if you are not experiencing any symptoms or pain.
- Report the Accident: A slip and fall can occur anywhere. You could get hurt at a grocery store, the bank, or your friend’s house. Regardless of the location, make sure you report the accident to the owner, landlord, or manager. Ask for a copy of the written accident report for your case file.
- Document the Accident: If you plan to file a compensation claim for your injuries, it is essential to collect evidence while it is still fresh. This includes the property owner’s contact information, the contact information of willing witnesses, photos or videos of the scene and your injuries, and a written accident report, if possible.
- Decline to Give Statements: After an accident, it is advisable to limit your communication with the at-fault party. Refrain from accepting or assigning blame or singing anything from the property owner. You can inform the insurance company of the accident. However, don’t give a statement until you have spoken to an Attorney. You should also avoid posting details related to your slip and fall on social media.
- Keep Records: Collect and preserve all the documents connected to your accident. This includes medical records, hospital bills, prescription records, correspondence with insurers, and other accident-related bills. You can also save documents that show you missed work because of your injuries.
- Talk to an Attorney: At this point, you should speak to a Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to find out how you should proceed with your slip and fall case. A law firm is better placed to prove negligence and conduct negotiations with the insurance provider. In case your claim needs to go to trial, an attorney can better protect your interests.
Talk to a Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney
If you fail to speak to an attorney after your slip and fall accident, you could end up paying for something that was not your fault. The medical bills might accumulate. You could even lose your job and overall earning ability.
Immediately after a slip and fall, contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to speak to a Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney. We have the expertise and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.