Torrance Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcycles comprise a small percentage of the total number of registered vehicles, but riders make up a disproportionately high portion of fatalities and injuries compared to autos. The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) reports that 14.4 percent of all traffic-related deaths involve motorcyclists, and these accidents kill almost 5,600 people each year. Statewide, around 13,000 riders are injured in motorcycle crashes, causing significant physical, emotional, and financial losses. You might be aware that there are legal remedies for victims, but it can be overwhelming to figure out how to pursue them.
Instead of attempting to navigate the complicated legal process on your own, trust El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to seek compensation from that at-fault driver. Our team has extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of the relevant laws, so we are prepared to take on all necessary tasks. Please contact our office to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our Torrance motorcycle accident attorneys. We can provide custom-tailored advice after reviewing your circumstances, but some general information about your rights is useful.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
These incidents occur for many of the same reasons as other traffic accidents, which typically involve careless and reckless acts by other drivers. Motorcycle collisions are often caused by:
● Running red lights and stop signs;
● Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
● Failure to yield right of way; (cars making left turns in front of an oncoming motorcycle)
● Erratic lane changes;
● Texting, talking on the phone, and posting to social media; and,
● Other forms of distracted driving, such as eating, drinking, using a GPS, or adjusting the radio.
Though not a cause of motorcycle collisions, the design of these vehicles tends to put riders at serious risk of injuries. The two-wheeled configuration can be unstable, the vehicle’s lower profile makes it less visible, and there is no metal shell to protect the motorcyclist. These factors intensify when other motorists engage in the careless acts described above.
How Motorcycle Accident Liability Works
Negligence is often equated with carelessness, but this term has a specific meaning in the practice of law. In a California car collision claim, the theory of negligence requires you to prove for essential elements:
1. The at-fault motorist had a duty to exercise reasonable care while driving;
2. That person breached the legal duty of care through unsafe driving;
3. The breach of duty was the direct cause of the motorcycle crash in which you were injured; and,
4. You suffered losses (medical expenses or injury) due to the crash .
Compensation for Victims
When you have sufficient evidence of the four essential elements above, you may qualify to recover damages for your losses. These are the various consequences that affect you and your life when you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident. Some are purely financial and are termed economic damages. Examples include medical costs for emergency care, surgery, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and pain medications. If you were not able to work because of motorcycle crash injuries, you may obtain money damages for lost wages.
Another category of compensation is noneconomic damages, which are the losses that affect you personally. There may not be a dollar value associated with these consequences because the focus is on how your injuries impact your quality of life. Noneconomic damages include pain and suffering, emotional distress, and scarring and disfigurement.
We are able to prove our clients cases via the presentation of evidence. Solid evidence is crucial for establishing these elements, so El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation and collect necessary proof. You can also support our efforts by gathering evidence at the scene, such as pictures of:
● Damage to vehicles;
● Traffic signals, signage, and other controls;
● Traffic and weather conditions;
● The intersection or stretch of roadway; and,
● Skid marks and related indications of a crash.
Options for Recovering Damages
Compensation is available for injured motorcycle riders, but you must go through the process and meet various legal requirements to recover it. Your options for obtaining damages include:
● Settlement: Many motorcycle collision claims are resolved via an agreement with the insurance company, which offers the advantage of certainty and avoids court. The key is to ensure the settlement amount is adequate to cover your losses.
● Mediation: Settlement is also the focus of mediation, a process in which a trained mediator guides the parties toward resolution. If not satisfied with the outcome, you can still take your case to court.
● Litigation: When settlement discussions and mediation do not result in an agreement on compensation, you will need to sue in court. There are numerous tasks along the timeline of a lawsuit, from filing the complaint to the trial date.
Skilled Help with the Legal Process
El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers strive to ensure you receive the damages you deserve under California law, so we will be at your side throughout the legal process. Our team has experience dealing with insurers, giving us an edge in discussing settlement options. We are prepared to address a denial or lowball counteroffer that does not pay a fair amount. Our California motorcycle crash attorneys will also advocate on your behalf during mediation.
If it becomes necessary to go to court to enforce your rights, you can count on us to:
● Draft the complaint to initiate litigation;
● Appear in court for status conferences and hearings;
● Raise and defend motions;
● Handle discovery, including requests to produce documents and written interrogatories;
● Take depositions of witnesses, experts, treating physicians, and others who may testify at trial;
● Present you for a deposition by the opposing side; and,
● Represent you at trial, in which we will present evidence, witnesses, and arguments to support your position.
Discuss Legal Options with Our Torrance Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you were injured or someone close to you died in a crash, it is critical to get legal help with your remedies. El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers will protect your rights throughout the process, so please contact our firm to schedule a free case review. You can reach a California motorcycle collision lawyer by calling (213) 985-1120 or visiting our website. Once we learn more about your situation, we can explain the next steps.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> DISTRACTED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I called this law firm seeking for a personal injury attorney. They redirected me to RMD law and they handled my case in no time. Thanks for your recommendation and caring about people although it was out of your scope.
Ali G., Irvine, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours