Car accidents are often devastating and unexpected. They can leave you unsure of how to proceed. When this happens, it is advisable to seek immediate medical attention and hire expert legal representation. Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers will help you determine your eligibility for compensation and file a claim on your behalf. This means you need to find the best person for the job.
Finding a qualified attorney can be overwhelming, especially after the confusion that follows an accident. Here is a list of questions to ask a car accident lawyer to help you make the most of your initial consultation with potential attorneys.
Experience and Background
Personal injury law includes a wide range of cases. Having experience in slip and fall cases doesn’t automatically mean your attorney is also experienced in medical malpractice. Consequently, asking the following questions will help you understand your attorney’s background and practice experience:
- What areas of personal injury law do you practice?
- How long have you been practicing them?
- How many car accident cases have you handled?
- What kind of settlements did you get?
- How often do you go to trial?
Your Car Accident Case
During your initial consultation, your attorney will ask questions to determine the scope of your case. They will want to know how, when, and where the accident happened. They will also ask about your insurance coverage and accident records.
Similarly, you should use this opportunity to learn more about your case. Ask your attorney the following questions:
- How long do you think my case will take?
- Do you prefer to settle out of court or go to trial?
- Will you go to trial if needed?
- How much is my case approximately worth?
- What can I do to increase my chances of getting compensation?
Aside from the medical bills that follow an accident, you also need to worry about legal fees. Find out how your attorney bills his clients. Does he work on a contingency basis? Or does he charge an hourly rate? Finding this out early in the process will allow you to weigh your options, so you don’t accumulate debt. Ask the following questions:
- Do you work on a contingency basis? – This is where you don’t pay anything in legal fees unless you receive a car accident settlement.
- Will I owe you anything if I don’t receive a settlement?
- Will I need to pay for costs incurred during the case?
- How much do you estimate I will take home after settling my legal fees?
The best way to verify all this information is to hear it from someone else. Lastly, ask your attorney to provide you with past client references.
Contact a Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney
There are many ways to find a car accident attorney. You could turn to the Yellow Pages, TV advertisements, lawyer referral services, or personal references from friends and relatives. Once you have selected a potential candidate, these questions to ask a car accident lawyer will help you determine the most qualified one for your case.
Contact El Dabe Ritter Law Firm today to schedule an initial consultation with top Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers. We will answer any questions you might have and evaluate your case. Once we are familiar with the circumstances of your accident, we will advise you on the best way forward.