Sherman Oaks Bus Accident Lawyers
Bus accidents in the Sherman Oaks area are not as common as other types of motor vehicle collisions, but bus crashes can be devastating and fatal when they do occur. There are many different types of buses that operate in and around Sherman Oaks, including the 155 Metro bus line, school buses, and charter buses. Residents of Sherman Oaks also might rely on the Metro G Line – Orange or DASH bus for transit to other parts of the Los Angeles area from the San Fernando Valley, or to Metrolink or Metro rail lines.
Depending upon the type of bus involved in the accident that caused your injuries, you may need to file a government claim for a public transit accident. No matter what type of bus collision occurred and caused your injuries, our Sherman Oaks bus accident attorneys can assist you with your case.
Determining Liability for Bus Crashes in Sherman Oaks, CA
Many different parties can be liable for bus wrecks in Sherman Oaks, depending upon the circumstances of the collision. In some cases, it may be possible to file a claim against multiple parties to seek compensation for your losses. Examples of parties who may be liable for a bus accident include but are not limited to:
- Bus driver who was negligent while driving and caused a collision, including collisions resulting from distracted driving, drunk driving, drowsy or fatigued driving, aggressive driving, and road rage;
- Owner of the bus, including a private bus company owner or the city or county;
- Employer of the bus driver, who can be liable for injuries resulting from the bus driver’s negligence through the doctrine of respondeat superior, or due to a negligent failure to check the bus driver’s driving record and related issues;
- City or county responsible for operating a public bus route or school bus in Sherman Oaks when the bus driver was responsible for the crash, or the collision resulted from the negligent maintenance of the bus;
- City, county, or state where the bus accident occurred if the crash resulted from negligent maintenance of roads, such as failing to repair a serious highway defect or failing to clear dangerous road debris;
- Mechanic or mechanic shop that was negligent in working on the bus;
- Designer or manufacturer of a defective bus or vehicle part that caused the accident;
- The driver of another motor vehicle that caused the bus collision; or
- Negligent pedestrian or motorist who caused the accident.
How Comparative Fault Can Impact a Bus Accident Claim
What should you do if you were injured in a bus accident but you think you might be partially at fault? California follows what is known as a pure comparative fault rule, which means that an injured person can file a claim and obtain compensation from an at-fault party even if the injured person is partly at fault. If the injured person is partly at fault, their recovery will be reduced by the percentage of negligence.
For example, if a motor vehicle driver was injured in a bus accident because a bus driver ran a red light but the injured motor vehicle driver was talking on a handheld phone at the time of the crash, the court might determine that the injured motorist on the phone is 20 percent at fault. That person’s damages award will be reduced by 20 percent.
While some states bar a plaintiff from recovery once the plaintiff is 50 percent or 51 percent at fault, California does not. A plaintiff who is up to 99 percent at fault can still recover.
Bus Accident Statute of Limitations in Sherman Oaks
The statute of limitations for a bus accident claim will depend upon whether a private party or government entity is liable for injuries. For most bus accident claims against a private party, the statute of limitations is two years. For government claims, you must file an administrative claim within six months under most circumstances.
Contact an Experienced Sherman Oaks Bus Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a bus accident in or around Sherman Oaks? Was your child injured in a bus collision? Bus crashes can be devastating, and it is critical to seek help from an experienced Sherman Oaks bus accident attorney as you seek financial compensation for your losses.
Our firm can evaluate your bus accident case for you today, and we can provide you with more information and options for seeking compensation. Contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to speak with an advocate at our firm and to learn more about the services we provide to injury victims and their families in Sherman Oaks. Call (213) 985-1120 for help today.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> DISTRACTED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I called this law firm seeking for a personal injury attorney. They redirected me to RMD law and they handled my case in no time. Thanks for your recommendation and caring about people although it was out of your scope.
Ali G., Irvine, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours