Sherman Oaks Personal Injury Lawyers
Like in other areas in California, accidents are all too common in Sherman Oaks. Residents can suffer a wide range of injuries resulting from the actions of another party. Personal injury law in California is designed to protect such people.
It allows accident victims to get compensation for any injuries caused by someone else’s negligence or intentional actions. The Sherman Oaks personal injury lawyers at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers have an in-depth understanding of California personal injury laws. We help accident injury victims understand their rights and get the compensation they deserve.
Have you or a loved one been injured in Sherman Oaks? Call our office at (213) 985-1120 or contact us online to discuss your eligibility for damages.
What Personal Injury Claims Do We Handle in Sherman Oaks, CA?
Personal injury claims cover a wide range of cases. You could be eligible for damages as long as you were injured in an accident caused by someone else. A Sherman Oaks personal injury attorney can help you file a case for any of the following accidents:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Bus accidents
- Catastrophic injury
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Slip and Falls
- Wrongful death
- and More.
Determining Liability In A Personal Injury Accident Case
Liability refers to responsibility for an accident. To establish liability, you need to establish the basis for your injury claim. Three basic claims exist in California. They are:
- Negligence Claims: Negligence claims are the most common claims. If someone’s negligent action causes your injury, they can be held liable for damages. Usually, a negligent party does not intend to cause harm. The cause of the accident is often their carelessness, thoughtlessness, or failure to act as a responsible person would in the same situation. In some cases, professionals with special training such as doctors and engineers can be negligent. This situation is defined as a failure to conduct themselves how a reasonable person in that field would. Such cases are handled under malpractice laws.
- Strict Liability Claims: Strict liability claims are also referred to as ‘liability without fault’ cases. They do not require you to prove negligence or determine fault. Typically, strict liability laws apply to situations such as:
- Product liability – injury due to a defective product. Parties that can be held liable include the manufacturer, retailer, installer, or wholesaler of a product.
- Abnormally dangerous activities such as storing explosives
- Injuries caused by animals – The animal handler or owner is held liable.
- Intentional Wrongs: Intentional wrongs cases include situations where the perpetrator intents and acts in a way that harms someone else. Common examples include battery and assault. In most cases, victims of intentional wrongs cases pursue personal injury claims alongside criminal charges. Determining fault can prove tricky for someone without legal knowledge. Always consult an injury attorney about liability.
El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers understand that recovering from an accident is tough work. In addition to going to physical therapy or rehab, you are trying to figure out how to pay your bills. Many families are feeling extreme stress in the days and weeks following a personal injury in Sherman Oaks.
We can help. Our legal team will start immediately helping our clients by:
- Analyzing any police report to understand what happened.
- Interview eyewitnesses to the accident to find out what they saw.
- Studying your medical records and coordinating with medical experts to fully understand your injuries, as well as your expected recovery horizon.
- Collecting relevant documents related to the incident, like insurance policies.
- Submitting claims to insurance adjusters.
- Communicating with adjusters about your case.
- Negotiating a favorable settlement for our clients.
- Beginning litigation if settlement discussions stall.
Bicycle Accident Injuries Have Many Causes
Bicycle injuries leave many victims in the hospital for weeks. Even if you can move around, your life could have dramatically changed by severe physical or cognitive limitations. Our team of Sherman Oaks bicycle accident lawyers aims to get our clients full compensation for their injuries.
There is no one “typical” bicycle accident. However, negligent and dangerous drivers are often the primary cause of collisions. These motorists will make some mistakes out on the road, such as:
- Passing illegally
- Opening a door without looking to see if anyone is coming behind
- Drifting into oncoming traffic
- Making a turn without ensuring the way is clear
- Failing to yield
- Failing to check blind spots
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving while intoxicated
Sometimes, a hazardous road will also contribute to a wreck. Potholes and broken pavement can send cyclists tumbling over the handlebars. Although cyclists should avoid these hazards, if possible, the government ultimately is responsible for providing safe roads.
If you were injured in an accident, you should definitely call a personal injury lawyer in Sherman Oaks, CA to review your legal rights. California law requires that motorists who cause accidents compensate their victims, but the road to recovery isn’t easy. Indeed, settling a bicycle accident case is in many ways harder than dealing with a car insurance claim.
At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, we negotiate settlements on behalf of our clients. Pick up the phone and contact one of our Sherman Oaks accident attorneys today for more information.
Determining Who Is At Fault for Your Sherman Oaks Motorcycle Crash
There are approximately 800,000 motorcycles in California—the most of any state. And it’s not surprising that hopping on a motorcycle is so popular in the Golden State. Our glorious weather and dramatic scenery make riding a bike a popular hobby. Riding to work or school will also seem like a pleasure.
Nevertheless, riding a motorcycle is full of risks. Motorcycles are less stable than four-wheel vehicles, and other motorists on the road might not drive with the same car when they come across you. Sadly, accidents are a fact of life in Sherman Oaks, like other neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley.
Our injury lawyers always analyze who is at fault for your motorcycle accident. Once we identify the person or entity to blame, we can request compensation for your injuries. By far, most motorcycle accidents are caused by dangerous or negligent drivers. These motorists:
- Pass too closely
- Drive too fast for the conditions
- Run a red light
- Drive distracted
- Drive while intoxicated
- Refuse to yield
- Fail to check their blind spots, and
- Make illegal lane changes
In other accidents, a road defect could contribute to your crash. For example, a giant pothole in the middle of the lane could upend your bike, sending you flying. Or a dangerous shoulder could cause you to flip over once you ride onto the soft shoulder.
In those examples, the government usually has responsibility for keeping the roads safe. Motorcyclists sometimes contribute to their crashes as well. For example, you might have been weaving in and out of lanes when you were clipped by a speeding motorist. Under these facts, both you and the driver could bear some of the faults.
Fortunately, California lets personal injury victims seek compensation even when they were negligent—provided they are not 100% to blame. Still, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault, which means you are likely to have uncompensated losses.
At El Dabe Ritter, we carefully review the facts to identify your share of responsibility for any accident. We have the skills to minimize your contribution so that we can maximize your take-home settlement.
How Should Someone Handle A Bus Accident In Sherman Oaks?
Bus accidents in the Sherman Oaks area are not as common as other types of motor vehicle collisions, but bus crashes can be devastating and fatal when they do occur. There are many different types of buses that operate in and around Sherman Oaks, including the 155 Metro bus line, school buses, and charter buses. Residents of Sherman Oaks also might rely on the Metro G Line – Orange or DASH bus for transit to other parts of the Los Angeles area from the San Fernando Valley, or to Metrolink or Metro rail lines.
Depending upon the type of bus involved in the accident that caused your injuries, you may need to file a government claim for a public transit accident. No matter what type of bus collision occurred and caused your injuries, our Sherman Oaks bus accident attorneys can assist you with your case.
Many different parties can be liable for bus wrecks in Sherman Oaks, depending upon the circumstances of the collision. In some cases, it may be possible to file a claim against multiple parties to seek compensation for your losses. Examples of parties who may be liable for a bus accident include but are not limited to:
- Bus driver who was negligent while driving and caused a collision, including collisions resulting from distracted driving, drunk driving, drowsy or fatigued driving, aggressive driving, and road rage;
- Owner of the bus, including a private bus company owner or the city or county;
- Employer of the bus driver, who can be liable for injuries resulting from the bus driver’s negligence through the doctrine of respondeat superior, or due to a negligent failure to check the bus driver’s driving record and related issues;
- City or county responsible for operating a public bus route or school bus in Sherman Oaks when the bus driver was responsible for the crash, or the collision resulted from the negligent maintenance of the bus;
- City, county, or state where the bus accident occurred if the crash resulted from negligent maintenance of roads, such as failing to repair a serious highway defect or failing to clear dangerous road debris;
- Mechanic or mechanic shop that was negligent in working on the bus;
- Designer or manufacturer of a defective bus or vehicle part that caused the accident;
- The driver of another motor vehicle that caused the bus collision; or
- Negligent pedestrian or motorist who caused the accident.
How Comparative Fault Can Impact a Bus Accident Claim
What should you do if you were injured in a bus accident but you think you might be partially at fault? California follows what is known as a pure comparative fault rule, which means that an injured person can file a claim and obtain compensation from an at-fault party even if the injured person is partly at fault. If the injured person is partly at fault, their recovery will be reduced by the percentage of negligence.
For example, if a motor vehicle driver was injured in a bus accident because a bus driver ran a red light but the injured motor vehicle driver was talking on a handheld phone at the time of the crash, the court might determine that the injured motorist on the phone is 20 percent at fault. That person’s damages award will be reduced by 20 percent.
While some states bar a plaintiff from recovery once the plaintiff is 50 percent or 51 percent at fault, California does not. A plaintiff who is up to 99 percent at fault can still recover.
Talk to a Sherman Oaks Personal Injury Attorney Today
Insurance companies can try to bully you into accepting less compensation than you deserve. However, with a skilled accident attorney by your side, you can be sure that your rights are protected. Our personal injury lawyers in Sherman Oaks are skilled in the art of negotiation.
We can get the insurance company to settle your claim satisfactorily and in good time. If the case needs to go to trial, we will apply our expertise and resources to get you a fair judgment. Contact us to discuss your case and a suitable way forward.
We will listen to your story and map out a suitable plan.
CALL US NOW: (213) 985-1120
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I recommend this law firm to anyone that needs legal advice. They were professional, courteous, and knowledgeable when I contacted them to handle my car accident. I wish I had used them for my previous case, but at least I now know who to contact to handle future cases.
Aldo A. Los Angeles, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours