Reckless driving is operating an automobile at a speed or in a way that doesn’t take notice of individual or property safety. In other terms, a reckless driver is aware that he or she is driving carelessly but decides to do so anyway.
In Los Angeles, reckless driving is a criminal offense that is punishable by steep penalties. It is firmly advised that individuals charged with the offense contact a criminal attorney. Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers can help you pursue a positive outcome for your case. Contact us today to learn more about your legal rights.
What Can Be Considered Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving definitions may vary slightly from one state to another. And certain driving moves may be considered “reckless,” depending on the situation. Careless driving can be anything from speeding to making an unlawful U-turn.
All things considered, the courts have settled upon specific components as reckless driving violations. That includes committing traffic offenses, driving with the headlights off, and driving under the influence of drugs.
The courts consider a number of factors before terming an offense like reckless driving, including:
- Time of day when the incident took place
- Whether the motorist’s driving was safe
- The weather conditions
- Whether the driver was negligent
Several behaviors fall under the category of reckless driving, including:
- Making pointless sharp turns
- Using brakes inappropriately
- Failure to use indicators when necessary
- Overtaking at least two or more vehicles at once
- Swinging wide when moving through a bend
- Speeding above the speed limit
- Racing other cars
- Dodging a police officer after a traffic stop
- Driving a defective vehicle, especially when it has not been maintained well
Many other driving practices may also be considered reckless driving under the law. Hence, an individual may want to get an experienced lawyer in case he or she needs legal protection. A reckless driving case isn’t an ideal opportunity for self-representation.
One should be proactive enough and should be able to work with a competent lawyer. By getting competent Los Angeles car accident attorneys involved you can be assured that they’ll do their best to protect you.
Consequences of Reckless Driving
Punishments for careless driving are usually very serious since it is a criminal offense. Below are some of the consequences:
- The careless driving charge may go on your driving record
- You will have a criminal record
- You might be put on post-trial supervision
- You might be forced to pay hefty fines in addition to court costs
- You might face a jail term for almost about twelve months
Contact a Los Angeles Accident Attorney
At El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers we deal with different types of car accident cases, including reckless driving. We are devoted to attending to our clients and also give the best to them. Additionally, our skillful legal counselors can come to you or we can handle everything via a phone call. Contact our law firm at 888-543-5041 to schedule a free consultation and receive the compensation you deserve.