Los Angeles Burn Injury Attorneys
Burns are among the most excruciatingly painful, catastrophic forms of trauma the human body can sustain, and these injuries are unique in that there are serious emotional consequences in addition to the physical impacts. Unfortunately, statistics reveal that burn injuries are a common tragedy. According to the American Burn Association (AmeriBurn), more than 1.1 million people require medical attention for the treatment of burn injuries every year.
The majority of burn injuries occur because of accidents, so it is a comfort to know that California personal injury laws protect victims. You may qualify to recover monetary damages for your losses, which can be extreme due to the unique nature of burns. These injuries can affect your life in ways you did not expect, with long-term costs and complications. You can trust El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to guide you through the legal process, as our team has decades of combined experience advocating on behalf of injured victims. Please contact our firm today to set up a no-cost case review. Our Los Angeles burn injury lawyers can provide personalized details, and some basics are informative.
Common Causes of Burns
These injuries are frequently caused by contact or exposure to a thermal heat source, including fire, scalding liquids, hot surfaces, steam, and others. However, burns can also result from chemicals, radiation, and electricity. One or more of these sources are present in some of the most common personal injury accidents, including:
- Car accidents, such as when gas or oil leaks, ignite, or explodes;
- Truck collisions, particularly when the operator is hauling hazardous chemicals or substances;
- Motorcycle crashes can lead to an extremely painful type of injury known as “road rash” – which carries characteristics of both a burn and an abrasion;
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents are caused by careless motorists, truck drivers, and motorcycle riders;
- Dangerous conditions on the property, such as loose wiring, broken outlets, unprotected electrical sockets, and many others; and,
- Medical errors, where a patient may be overexposed to radiation or other harsh chemicals.
Burn Injury Classification System
Medical professionals have developed a system for categorizing burns according to severity, and you are probably familiar with some of the basics. Human skin is composed of several layers, so the depth of penetration is a factor in assessing the level of burn injuries.
- First Degree Burns: The most minor form of injury is similar to a sunburn and only affects the epidermis, i.e., the outer layer of skin. First-degree accidental burns may require treatment through salves, ointments, and over-the-counter pain medication.
- Second Degree Burn Injuries: When the burn penetrates through the epidermis and reaches the underlying dermis layer, the skin may become swollen, red, or even white due to the dead cells. Blisters often develop, causing substantial pain and discomfort.
- Third Degree Burns: This extremely severe form of burn injury occurs when the epidermis and dermis layers are destroyed, reaching the fat, tissue, muscle, and bone underneath. The affected areas may be charred and black, with some brown regions and leathery skin. Surprisingly, the pain may not be as severe: A third-degree burn may destroy nerves, leading to numbness.
Extreme Losses from Burn Injuries
The most impactful consequences of burns are the costs of medical treatment, which can be astronomical from the immediate aftermath of an accident to the care you may require months and years later. There are several factors that lead to astronomical costs of care for burns.
- Many victims must receive care from specialists at hospital burn centers, which are far more costly than a typical hospital or ER.
- Infection is common with burn injuries, increasing the length of hospitalization.
- Burn victims often suffer psychological disorders due to the effects of scarring on their physical appearance.
- Skin grafts are usually required for severe burns, and it may take an entire series of procedures to correct the damage.
Types of Monetary Damages for Burn Victims
Compensation in a California personal injury claim aims to reimburse the victim for the many ways an accident affects his or her life. You may be entitled to two different types depending on the circumstances:
- Economic Damages: This category includes the tangible, ascertainable losses you may suffer. The medical expenses described above might make up the bulk of your compensation, but you can also obtain amounts for lost wages.
- Noneconomic Damages: Some losses cannot be measured in dollar value, but you definitely experience consequences for your quality of life. Examples of non-economic damages include pain and suffering, scarring and disfigurement, and emotional anguish.
How Our Los Angeles Burn Injury Attorneys Help In the Legal Process
You can count on our team at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to handle all tasks required throughout the legal process. The first step is filing an insurance claim, though you will have to sue in court if the insurer refuses to pay fair compensation. We will assist by:
- Conducting an investigation and collecting evidence;
- Analyzing your medical records;
- Preparing all insurance claims forms and submitting a request for payment;
- Negotiating settlement with the insurance company to resolve your claim out of court; and,
- Representing you in court, including filing the complaint, working through discovery, and advocating on your behalf at trial.
Set Up a Free Consultation with Our Los Angeles Burn Injury Lawyers Today
This overview of your rights and remedies is helpful, but you can see how skilled legal assistance is critical. If you were hurt or lost a loved one due to accidental burn injuries, please contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to schedule a no-cost case evaluation for your premises liability or personal injury case. Individuals in Southern California can call 213-985-1120 or go online to speak to a knowledgeable burn injuries attorney.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> IMPAIRED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I recommend this law firm to anyone that needs legal advice. They were professional, courteous, and knowledgeable when I contacted them to handle my car accident. I wish I had used them for my previous case, but at least I now know who to contact to handle future cases.
Aldo A. Los Angeles, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours