It is always wise to know the laws and statutes of limitations governing personal injury claim in your state after an accident or injury occurs.
There is plenty of research on the internet in this area, but it is always best to consult a lawyer for legal advice.
The post below will cover some common FAQs on the topic.
Bus Accident Injuries: What to Do When It Happens
The first thing to do when in an accident is to call 911. Once you are taken to the hospital and your level of injury has been identified, you can call for legal help.
Bus accident injuries are considered to be serious because of the weight and size of buses which leads to a higher risk accident. Additionally, buses carry a large number of people so the number of bus injuries can be quite high.
The following is some basic advice to follow after an accident with or in a bus:
• Do not admit to any wrong doing until you contact a lawyer and it is certain who was at fault.
• Gather evidence yourself if you are able to. Taking photos of the accident scene and the vehicles involved in the accident is a good way to do this.
• If you are physically capable, collect any information of witnesses who might have seen the accident. Also collect information on the driver and license plates of the other motorists involved.
• Cooperate with law enforcement.
There are certain standards that should be maintained by bus drivers. Some of them include safety equipment and drug screening for the drivers(s). An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to explain more about this.
Statute of Limitations
A statute of limitations is a time period within which individuals who want to file for personal injury claims should do so. If the claim is not filed within this time frame then it is considered null and void. You will no longer be able to get reimbursement for their injuries and loss.
It is therefore important to know the exact time to avoid inconveniences. Contacting a lawyer soon after a bus accident avoids this.
In California, the statute of limitations on personal injury is up to two years from when the accident occurred or a year from when the injury was discovered. This occurs for any medical condition or injury that is discovered later.
If you want to file a bus accident personal injury suit against the state, you have a maximum of 6 months to do it.
How to Know if You have a Bus Accident Injury Claim
You are entitled to compensation if the accident was the fault of the driver. Attorneys may represent passengers of the bus or passengers in other cars where the accident was involved.
There is need for a lawyer who will provide the following services:
• Hire on-site investigators to get more information. It is important to contact a good lawyer who has investigators working for them or who can hire one to ensure that they get their own evidence.
• Determine who is at fault. After collecting the necessary evidence, a good lawyer who has handled plenty of personal injury cases involving buses can deduce who was at fault and begin building a case before the case goes to court.
• Works with law enforcement. It is important to cooperate with law enforcement as was earlier mentioned. A good lawyer has the connections and a good relationship with the police and other law enforcement officials.
How Much Compensation Can I Get?
Compensation from bus accidents includes both tangible and intangible losses.
Tangible losses include past medical wages and lost wages, and future medical expenses and lost wages. It also includes any cost you might have incurred out of your own pocket as a result of the accident.
Intangible lost wages are more complex and consist of pain and suffering, mental damage, disability and disfigurement.
If you have suffered any of the above then you are liable to compensation.
The amount of compensation depends on how serious the losses mentioned above are. A team of Los Angeles car accident attorneys will ensure you get the maximum compensation for your troubles and injuries.