Motorcycle crashes are unfortunately common, with hundreds of fatal crashes occurring in our state every year. While a motorcyclist has a statistically more probable risk of death, there are things that a motorcyclist can do to reduce their risk of collision and serious injury. Here’s an overview of how to avoid motorcycle accidents and how the Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorneys at the firm of El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers can help if you or a loved one has been harmed in a crash—
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The first step in preventing motorcycle accidents is understanding how motorcycle accidents occur. Most often, motorcycle accidents are the result of the negligence or wrongdoing of one of the parties involved in the crash. Common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Operator lack of experience
- Bad road conditions
- Use of alcohol, drugs, or another impairing substance
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Driver or operator distraction—this cause of crash presents itself commonly in accidents involving lane changes (a driver may not check their blind spots) and cars making left-hand turns.
Tips for Avoiding Motorcycle Accidents
Nearly all motorcycle accidents are preventable. While you cannot control the actions of other drivers on the road, as a motorcyclist, you can take steps to protect yourself. Tips for avoiding a motorcycle accident include:
- Take motorcycle training courses and be sure that you’re comfortable on a bike. Remember, operator lack of experience is a common factor in crashes. It is highly recommended that you complete a motorcycle rider training course, which is required for those riders under 21.
- Always ride while sober. The use of impairing substances before riding can greatly increase your risk of being involved in a crash.
- There are three riding positions in a lane. You can ride on the left side, on the right side, or in the center. Usually, the center is most dangerous because cars drip oil down the center of the lane.
- Make sure that others on the road can see you. This means ensuring that your bike has strong lights that are easy to spot, and wearing reflective or bright clothing.
- Helmets come in full-size half size and quarter size. Full helmets will reduce the risk of facial injury.
- Always follow the speed limit and other traffic laws. Speeding not only increases the risk of a crash but also increases the severity of a crash if one occurs.
- Try to make eye contact with other drivers before performing a maneuver. For example, make sure that another vehicle’s driver sees you before you lane change or take a turn in front of the vehicle.
In addition to the above, you should always wear a helmet and other protective gear, which can reduce your risk of severe injury if you are involved in a crash.
Schedule Your Free Consultation with Our Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you are involved in a crash in Los Angeles or the surrounding areas, you can file a claim to recover damages. If the other party involved was to blame for your crash, you may even have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. At the office of El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers can help you to prepare your case and prove fault, causation, and damages.
We offer free consultations and always work on a contingency fee basis. To learn more about our legal services, reach out to us today.