Areas of Practice
- Los Angeles Driving Under the Influence Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles Impaired Driving Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles Weather Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles Taxicab Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles ATV Accidents Lawyers
- Los Angeles Rollover Car Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Vehicle Malfunction Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles Airplane Accident Lawyers
- Los Angeles Assault and Battery Lawyers
- Los Angeles Product Liability Lawyers
- Los Angeles Train Accidents Lawyer
- Los Angeles Truck Accidents Lawyers
- Los Angeles Boat Accidents Lawyers
- Los Angeles Construction Accidents Lawyers
- Los Angeles Drowning Accidents Lawyers
- Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Los Angeles Dog Bite Attorneys
- Los Angeles Premise Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
- Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorneys
- Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
What Is Classified As a “Catastrophic Injury”? How Does It Affect My Car Accident Case?
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were more than 44,000 car accidents in Los Angeles County in 2016, many of which resulted in severe, debilitating injury to victims. While any injury is painful, some include more intense physical, emotional, and financial consequences than others. California law does allow you to recover compensation for your massive losses, but you will need a Los Angeles car accident attorney to assist with the complicated claims process. You may also benefit from getting some answers to your most pressing questions.
What is a catastrophic injury?
In the medical field, catastrophic injuries are defined as those that cause:
- Permanent and severe disability;
- Serious head, neck, or spinal cord trauma which is not accompanied by disability; or,
- Death, after a short period of suffering.
Besides car accidents, catastrophic injuries can be caused by many different types of incidents, such as slip and fall incidents, defective products, workplace accidents, intentional attacks, and many other circumstances.
How are catastrophic injuries different from other car accident injuries?
The nature of catastrophic injuries means that medical treatment is more significant. Emergency care and surgery are often required, and the costs of living with a disability are considerable. A wheelchair, hospital bed, lifts, scooters, and other gear may be necessary. Many victims also need counseling to cope with the effects. Plus, there are implications for your quality of life. Catastrophic injuries could prevent you from enjoying favorite activities with family, friends, and loved ones.
What are my legal options as the victim of a catastrophic auto collision?
You may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages, which is a term that refers to the losses you suffer as a result of your injuries. A Los Angeles catastrophic injury lawyer can help you seek damages for:
- Your medical bills;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and,
- Many other types of losses.
How can I recover compensation for my losses?
The first step in seeking damages in a car accident case is to file a claim with the responsible driver’s insurance company. The insurer may deny payment or offer a lower amount, at which point you can attempt to negotiate a settlement. If you cannot agree on compensation, you must file a lawsuit in court.
What do Los Angeles catastrophic injury lawyers charge?
Most attorneys who handle personal injury cases will bill clients on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay unless you recover compensation in your case, either from an insurance company or in court. Your lawyer’s fees are deducted from the recovery amount, based upon a percentage amount that you will agree to in advance.
Discuss Your Car Accident Claim with a Catastrophic Injury Attorney in Los Angeles
If you suffered catastrophic injuries in a motor vehicle crash, please contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to set up a free consultation right away. You can reach our firm by calling 888-540-0325 or visiting our website. One of our Los Angeles catastrophic injury lawyers can review your circumstances and assist you in recovering the compensation you deserve.