How do I Get a Police Report in Los Angeles?
If you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, one of the first tasks is to call 911 for assistance. Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officers will generate a crash report, but – because of confusion or other reasons – you may not receive a copy at the scene. Fortunately, you can still access this information, as it will be important to your claim for compensation. A Los Angeles car accident attorney can describe in more detail, but an overview on getting the police report may be helpful.
REQUESTING A LOS ANGELES POLICE REPORT
The LAPD website, Obtain a Traffic Collision Report, allows you to make an online request for a police report. However, you only have standing as a victim, a personal representative of a victim, or other individual as designated by law. There are additional considerations to note:
- LAPD police reports involving an arrest, fatality, or juvenile offender are not available online. You must request these collision reports via US Mail.
- You should allow at least 45 days after the traffic accident before you make the request, as these police reports must first be reviewed and approved before they’re available.
- Any reports issued before February 2016 are only available by mail.
OTHER SOURCES OF EVIDENCE IN A PERSONAL INJURY CASE
While a police report may play a critical role in an accident, there are other important sources of information. You and your attorney may use additional evidence in connection with settlement negotiations or at trial, such as:
- Medical Records: Documentation regarding your injury diagnosis, treatment, pain medications, and other information is essential when making a claim for compensation. Not only do medical records show the amount you should be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses, but they also demonstrate the severity of your injuries.
- Witness Testimony: The observations of others around the accident scene can be useful in establishing that the other driver was at fault in the accident. One of the first things you should do after a collision is to speak to potential witnesses, if you’re physically able considering your injuries.
- Surveillance Video: Businesses often install cameras for security purposes. This footage may also help prove negligence of the responsible motorist.
- Expert Testimony: There are many types of experts that auto crash lawyers work with to prove your case. Accident reconstruction specialists can help by applying their scientific knowledge and advanced computer solutions to show fault. An attorney may also rely on economists and similar experts to testify on how your injuries affect your life now and in the future.Medical professionals are commonly used in all types of personal accident injuries to establish pain, suffering, emotional distress, and other non-economic losses.
- Your Personal Recollections: Your own testimony is important because only you can describe how your injuries affect your life.
DISCUSS YOUR CLAIM WITH AN EXPERIENCED LOS ANGELES TRIAL ATTORNEY
For more information on how to get a police report from the LAPD, please contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers. Our attorneys are knowledgeable in the types of evidence will be crucial in your case, both in negotiations with insurance companies and at trial. We can schedule a free consultation to review your claim and explain your legal options.
AREAS OF PRACTICECAR ACCIDENTS> BICYCLE ACCIDENTS> MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS> BUS ACCIDENTS> DISTRACTED DRIVING ACCIDENTS> PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS> SLIP & FALL ACCIDENTS> CATASTROPHIC INJURY> MEDIATION> MORE>
Top Reviewed Lawyer in Los Angeles by Results and Service
I called this law firm seeking for a personal injury attorney. They redirected me to RMD law and they handled my case in no time. Thanks for your recommendation and caring about people although it was out of your scope.
Ali G., Irvine, CA
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation and we will respond to you within 24 hours