Pedestrians can be vulnerable to accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), close to 5,000 pedestrians die from motor accidents each year. In 2012, around 76,000 people suffered from pedestrian injuries from car accidents. These incidences could occur as you walk, run, jog, or even sit in public.
The Los Angeles car accident attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers can help you get compensation for your misery.
Types of Pedestrian Car Accidents
A pedestrian-car accident is an accident involving a person, not in a vehicle and a truck, car, or motorcycle. A pedestrian could be a jogger, walker, runner, r someone sitting close to a road. Common pedestrian-car accidents include:
- Loss of control accident — This occurs when a driver loses control of their car and sideswipes or hits a pedestrian on a sidewalk. This could involve the victim being run over, crushed between the vehicle and a stationary object, or trapped under the car.
- Crosswalk accident — Occurs when a pedestrian struck while legally in a crosswalk. This happens when a driver fails to give the pedestrian the right-of-way.
- Back-over or parking lot accident — involves a pedestrian being hit by a vehicle in reverse or one that backing up, pulling into, or pulling out of a parking space.
The slightest impact with a car can cause severe injuries. Remember to remain calm and call for help. Don’t try to move around if you’re not sure of the nature of your injuries.
Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrian injuries from a car accident can have devastating effects on your health. Depending on the nature and severity of the accident, the damages could range from mild to life-threatening. The speed and angle of impact could also determine the type of injury you incur.
Common types of pedestrian injuries include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck injuries
These accidents can also cause significant emotional strain and psychological distress on the victim or their loved ones.
What Should You Do After a Pedestrian Accident?
Everything you do following a pedestrian-car accident has a significant impact on your health and ability to get compensation. Although this extends into weeks after your accident, the first few hours are the most vital. If you suffer injuries in a pedestrian-car accident, you should:
- Seek medical attention — Even if your injuries are minor or don’t present any symptoms, see a medical professional. This should help you get the treatment you need and create medical records essential to your claim case.
- Collect evidence and record information about the accident — With time, evidence critical to your case could get lost. Witnesses’ memories could also get muddled, affecting their account of the accidents. Collect photos, videos, and contact information surrounding your accident.
- Retain legal representation — A personal injury lawyer can guide you through the process of obtaining remuneration. They can also handle critical legal matters for you so you can focus on recovering.
Contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers Today
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries from a pedestrian-car accident, please contact the Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys at El Dabe Trial Lawyers. Contact our offices to schedule a free consultation and receive the compensation your deserve.