- How do I know if a motorcycle helmet is acceptable under my state’s helmet law?
- In a case with multiple heirs, how are damages divided?
- Will My Health Insurance Coverage or Paid Sick Leave from Work Limit My Recovery For My Motorcycle accident?
- Is There Anyone Other Than the Drivers and Passengers Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision That I Could Sue for My Damages?
- Will My Attorney Need To Retain Experts To Prove Liability And Damages Even Though My Injury Is So Obvious?
- Who can sue for an amputation injury?
WHEN SHOULD I CALL AN ATTORNEY?
- July 27, 2016
Whether you’ve been injured at work, on public property, or you were involved in a traffic accident, you have very important rights. Contacting an attorney as soon as you can will help improve your chances of getting the best possible compensation settlement. The process of dealing with the court system and facing your insurance company on your own may seem overwhelming, but personal injury law in California is there to protect you and allows you to ask for compensation. An attorney can help to ensure your rights are protected and that the circumstances surrounding your specific situation are taken into account when you negotiate a settlement.
Take Care of Yourself and Gain Legal Support
If you’ve been injured, your first step should always be to seek the medical care you need. Once you’re on the road to recovery, contacting a personal injury lawyer is in your best interests. You may be tempted to handle the process of making a claim for compensation on your own, but consider the benefits of an attorney. An attorney will have a thorough understanding of the intricacies of personal injury law and the many exceptions to these laws as well as familiarity with the legal process. In addition, an attorney will have the resources necessary to investigate, gather, and present the evidence. An attorney could improve your chances for a positive outcome.
When you’ve been harmed due to the negligence of others, you do need to be aware that there is a time limit as to when you can file a lawsuit. In most cases, the time starts on the day of the injury, which is why you or a family member might want to meet with a lawyer to understand your options at the earliest possible date. There are exceptions, such as when a disease develops after years of being in contact with a toxic substance. In such cases, when your doctor confirms that the cause of your disease was the exposure to a particular substance, the clock will start ticking. After thoroughly examining your situation, an attorney can determine if you can make a feasible claim for compensation.
Being Guided by an Attorney can Make a Difference
You may fear getting involved in a drawn-out legal battle, but it is important to remember your first consultation is free. This gives you the opportunity to fully understand how the law can help you without making a commitment to taking legal action. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is a good option in cases when:
• You have a severe life changing injury
• You are facing large injury related expenses
• You can no longer keep your job
• Your insurance company refuses to pay you
Insurance companies have a team of lawyers working for them. Having a lawyer represent you and working to build a credible claim will show them you are serious.
Building Your Claim for Compensation
Persevering is essential, and if you are not able to, ask a friend or family member to help you gather evidence. Some of the first steps you can take to protect yourself include:
• Identifying eyewitness and getting their contact information
• Keeping detailed reports of medical bills and property damage
• Taking photographs and videos of anything that could help prove your claim
• Getting a copy of the police report, in cases of traffic accidents
Seek Legal Assistance As Early As Possible
When you’ve been harmed by the negligence, breach of duty, or purposeful wrongdoing of another individual or organisation, don’t hesitate to reach out to a personal injury attorney. You have nothing to lose, and you may gain answers to your questions and learn about your rights. The primary benefit of having a personal injury lawyer on your side is that it can reduce your stress and give you confidence to hold the person responsible for your injury accountable. Knowing that you have legal support to achieve your aim will allow you to concentrate on recovering and take care of the changes you and your family have to face.