- How do I know if a motorcycle helmet is acceptable under my state’s helmet law?
- In a case with multiple heirs, how are damages divided?
- Will My Health Insurance Coverage or Paid Sick Leave from Work Limit My Recovery For My Motorcycle accident?
- Is There Anyone Other Than the Drivers and Passengers Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision That I Could Sue for My Damages?
- Will My Attorney Need To Retain Experts To Prove Liability And Damages Even Though My Injury Is So Obvious?
- Who can sue for an amputation injury?
Should I use an attorney or handle the case myself?
- July 26, 2016
Many who have a personal injury claim wonder if an attorney is necessary. While an attorney is not a necessity, you would be well-served to have an attorney assist you with your case. An attorney will make sure your claim complies with all of the legal requirements and will advocate on your behalf for a fair resolution. An attorney will have experience with personal injury cases and can help you know if you a settlement offer will adequately compensate you for your injuries.
In order to prevail in a personal injury claim, you must be able to show that the person responsible for the injuries was negligent. Negligence is a complex legal theory that encompasses a variety of elements. You must be able to present evidence to prove each of the elements of negligence. A personal injury attorney can help you identify evidence that is available for your case and can help you gather that information.
The types of evidence that may be useful depend on the specific facts of your case. In general, any relevant information can be used to prove the elements of negligence. Some common examples of evidence in personal injury cases include the following:
- Eye witness statements
- Video recordings
- Photographs (accident scene, injuries, etc)
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Toxicology reports
- Prior bad conduct of the persons involved
Some information that may not seem important may actually prove to be crucial to your case. A personal injury attorney will be able to help you brainstorm and identify the relevant evidence for your case.
The procedural process to pursue money damages for a personal injury claim is not simple. Many who try to pursue a claim on their own will find that the process can be overwhelming. A personal injury attorney will know exactly what needs to be filed and completed to pursue your claim. A personal injury attorney will ensure that your case meets all of the required deadlines and complies with the rules.
Many who are injured assume that insurance policies will cover the damages. While insurance may provide some financial relief, the law allows you to recover money for damages that may not be addressed by insurance. Through a personal injury claim, the law allows you to pursue compensation for a variety of damages. These include the following:
- Medical expense reimbursement
- Property damages and loss
- Pain and suffering
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Legal fees and costs
- Physical disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
As you can see, there is a wide variety of damage claims that may be applicable to your case. A personal injury attorney will be familiar with the types of damages that may be claimed. A personal injury attorney will also be able to determine what types of damages have been suffered in your case. They will be able to help you quantify the damages and place a dollar figure on each type of damage. This will allow you to know what a fair settlement should be.
If you have been injured and believe that you may have a personal injury claim, there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of recovering money damages. Following are a few suggestions:
- Seek out immediate medical treatment for your injuries. Not only will this help remedy any physical issues you are dealing with, but it will also help preserve evidence about your injuries.
- Contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. By contacting a personal injury attorney early on, you will have someone to give you advice throughout the process
- Obtain continuing medical treatment. Make sure to arrange followup visits for your injuries. Also, seek out medical attention for any lingering aches and pains.
An experienced personal injury attorney can provide greater peace of mind during a personal injury case. They will handle to complex aspects of your case and will help you understand the process. Schedule a consultation with a personal injury attorney if you have questions.