Founded in 2009, Uber has been a leading company in the rideshare industry. It is available in over 70 countries and 450 cities. While it remains a major success, as with any transport service, it has also recorded some auto accidents. These collisions have caused property damage and injury. Have you been injured in an Uber accident? Discuss your injuries with top Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers.
Recently, Uber introduced the Uber Driver Injury Protection program. This is a program designed to cover damages for Uber drivers who get injured while working for the company. It covers both economic and non-economic losses related to the injury.
If you are an Uber driver, here is everything you need to know about the program.
How Does Uber Driver Injury Protection Work?
The driver injury protection program is an optional insurance policy made available to Uber drivers by the company. It can be likened to workers’ compensation insurance, which is carried by employers on behalf of their workers.
Essentially, the driver injury protection program covers any injuries suffered by the driver while working. The driver has to have been logged in to the platform and waiting for a ride or on a ride during the accident to qualify for benefits.
Uber drivers can access the program at $0.0375 for every mile driven with Uber.
What Does the Program Cover?
The benefits provided in the Uber Driver Injury Protection cover a wide range of losses. They are designed to alleviate any burdens that could result from the injury of a driver. In some cases, they also cover losses caused by the death of an Uber driver.
Drivers who sign up for the program can be eligible for:
- Medical Expenses — These include ambulance costs, testing, treatment, medication, hospital stays, and at-home care, among others. The program covers these losses up to $1,000,000.
- Temporary Total Disability — These benefits could apply for up to 2 years and cover $500 per week.
- Continuous Total Disability — Covers up to $500 per week after the first 2 years of receiving Temporary Total Disability benefits. It could be paid for a maximum of 5 years or until the driver reaches age 70, whichever comes first.
- Death Benefits — In the event of accidental death, the program covers death benefits up to $50,000.
- Dismemberment — Up to $2,000 every month to a maximum of $200,000 for dismemberment
- Survivor Benefits — Up to $1,500 per month to a maximum of $150,000 paid to the deceased driver’s family.
Can You File a Claim with the Program?
If you get injured while driving an Uber, you can file a claim with the driver injury protection program. You will need to use your Uber application to report your accident.
An agent will then work with you to process your claim. Should your claim get denied, you can discuss your rights with Personal Injury Attorneys in Los Angeles.
Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney in Los Angeles
The personal injury attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Law Firm are familiar with the effects of an auto accident. We represent Uber drivers in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas who have been injured while working. If you need help understanding your eligibility for Uber Driver Injury Protection, we are here to help.
After an Uber auto accident, we can help you recover economic and non-economic damages. Please contact us online or call our office to schedule a consultation with the best Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers.