CALL TODAY

888-333-8882

Slip-and-Fall Lawsuit Statistics

California premises liability laws cover a wide range of accidents linked to dangerous conditions on the property, but these cases are commonly known as “slips and falls” because of the circumstances that cause them.

If you were hurt because of a property owner’s negligence, you have the standing to sue and recover damages for your losses. If the property owner negligently maintained their property or created a dangerous condition that caused a slip and fall, the law holds that the property owner is responsible. 

Because of the medical expenses that can accompany that type of injury, many victims of slip-and-fall injuries take legal action. The US Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) reports that almost 99,000 personal injury cases are filed in federal court every year, many of which involve allegations of property owner misconduct.

However, other slip-and-fall lawsuit statistics are not as encouraging. Just 48% of plaintiffs prevailed in cases that went to trial, which is why it is critical to retain experienced legal representation for assistance with the legal process. Moreover, juries usually assign some fault to the person who has slipped and fallen. 

The attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers are prepared to prosecute your case so please contact us to set up a free case assessment with a Sherman Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer. Some additional data on these cases may also be helpful.

Additional Statistics on Slip-and-Fall Lawsuits

Reviewing data on a range of personal injury accident cases may provide a helpful framework for understanding the factors that impact your own. BJS also reports that:

  • Of the 99,000 personal injury lawsuits filed in federal court, just 2% — approximately 1,600 — were decided by a trial. In other words, the vast majority of these cases settle.
  • In addition to slip-and-fall claims, the most common personal injury cases include motor vehicle accidents, defective products, and medical malpractice.
  • When cases do go to trial, 71% of them are decided by a jury; a judge was the finder of fact in the remaining 29%.
  • Almost 66% of personal injury lawsuits concluded within 2 years, whether by settlement or trial.
  • The average award to a plaintiff who won at trial is $201,000.

Monetary Damages for Victims of Slips and Falls

There is no way to predict or guarantee that your case will fall squarely within the statistics mentioned above, but the data gives you an idea of what to expect. An experienced El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyer can explain the factors that impact the financial recovery you may be entitled to receive. There are two categories of monetary damages in slip-and-fall cases:

  1. Economic damages are losses that are definable by dollar value, such as medical bills and lost wages.
  2. Noneconomic damages are more subjective in nature and personal to your experience. This category is often termed pain and suffering injury settlement, but it also includes emotional distress, scarring and disfigurement, diminished quality of life, and other losses.

Discuss Your Options with Our Sherman Oaks Slip-and-Fall Attorneys 

For more information on your rights as the victim of a slip-and-fall accident please contact an experienced Sherman Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer with El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers at 888-333-8882 or check out our website

We can schedule a complimentary case evaluation to advise you on your legal options.

Call Today! (888) 333-8882