Reckless driving has serious consequences. A reckless driver is one who operates a vehicle in willful disregard for the safety of other road users or property. Receiving a reckless driving charge is not a joking matter.
If you have received a reckless driving ticket, you should get in touch with Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers. They can help you with getting a ticket dismissal. In this article, we look at the reckless driving ticket price in California State.
What is the Reckless Driving Ticket Price in California?
The reckless driving ticket price generally ranges between $100 and $300 for a first-time offense. The maximum fee increases significantly for subsequent offenses within one and a half years. However, a reckless driving ticket comes with other costs too.
If you get a reckless driving ticket in California, here are the possible penalties that could accompany it:
- DMV Points: When a driver gets a reckless driving charge in California, the Department of Motor Vehicles adds two points to his or her driving record. If the driver gets at least 4 points within one year, six points within two years, or eight points within three years, the DMV will revoke their license. The point values are higher for commercial drivers and teen motorists
- Fines: The fine for a charge on reckless driving is $145 in California, but judges can impose fines of up to $1,000 depending on the circumstances.
- Prison or Jail Time: A reckless driving ticket carries a jail sentence of a minimum of five days or a maximum of 90 days. Depending on the specifics of a case, the judge can increase the sentence to 12 months
- License Revocation: A judge can also revoke a person’s driving rights if they are a repeat offender, or caused an accident with severe injuries
- Increase in Insurance Rates: When a driver gets a reckless driving conviction, his or her insurance firm gets a notification of the conviction. Most times, the insurance provider will re-evaluate the insurance policy and increase the rates, because of the reckless driving charge. Even for people with an otherwise clean driving record, one reckless driving charge can have a negative impact on their insurance rates
What Acts Constitute Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving includes:
- Driving over the designated speed limit
- Engaging in a race with another car
- Attempting to elude a law enforcement officer
- Driving a vehicle after dark without turning on the headlights
- Operating a car while distracted because of cellphone use, or sending text messages
- Passing another car on a double-lane highway with limited visibility of oncoming motor vehicles
Fight Your Reckless Driving Ticket and Win
With a reckless driving charge, you face a fine, imprisonment, license revocation, and other consequences. Do not endanger your freedom by overlooking a traffic ticket. If you face reckless driving charges, consult a traffic attorney.
Get in touch with Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys at El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers right away, so we can start working on your behalf. Our law firm has dealt with hundreds of reckless driving tickets in Los Angeles and has favorably resolved many of them.