Safe intersection design, maintenance, and traffic controls are a critical part of ensuring that drivers throughout Los Angeles are able to navigate the roadways without incident. However, despite best efforts to reduce intersection accidents, data shows that more than 50 percent of combined total fatal and injury crashes occur at or near intersections. When an intersection crash occurs, understanding California’s car accident recovery laws is essential – our Los Angeles intersection accident attorneys can help.
Types of Intersection Accidents
An intersection accident can take a variety of different forms. Examples of intersection accident types include:
- Rear-end accidents – This type of accident may occur in an intersection when a rear driver, assuming that the driver in front is going to proceed through the intersection (i.e. when making a right- or left-hand turn), hits the front driver from behind.
- T-bone accidents – T-bone accidents are the most common intersection accident type, and are characterized by one vehicle hitting the other from the side, forming a T-like shape. These usually occur when one vehicle fails to yield to the other and happen when one vehicle is making a left-hand turn and the other is proceeding straight through the intersection.
- Head-on collisions – While less common in intersections, a head-on collision may occur when drivers are intoxicated, impaired, distracted, or overly fatigued.
- Right-turn accidents – Finally, one of the most common intersection accidents is a right-turn accident. These accidents involve a motorist and a bicyclist or pedestrian and happen when the bicyclist/pedestrian is crossing the intersection and a vehicle making a right-hand turn turns into the victims as a result of failure to yield.
Causes of Intersection Accidents
Intersection accidents are preventable, and when they occur, the liable party needs to be identified immediately so that the claims process can begin. Common causes of intersection accidents include:
- Drivers’ errors, such as driving too fast for conditions, running a red light or stop sign, failing to yield the right-of-way to another driver, driving while distracted, driving while intoxicated, or driving aggressively.
- Hazardous intersection conditions, such as defective traffic lights, poor signage, or a lack of traffic control device. When an intersection accident would not have occurred but for a hazardous condition such as the ones listed, the municipality or department of transportation responsible for the intersection and its maintenance may be to blame.
Work with a Qualified Los Angeles Intersection Attorney
An intersection accident may leave you with serious injuries and expenses, ranging from medical expenses to lost wages and more. When you have been harmed in an intersection accident that occurred due to another’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated, and you deserve the best legal representation available.
At the law office of El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers, our Los Angeles intersection accident attorneys are here to advocate for you. We know how to comprehensively investigate intersection accidents to make a fault determination, have experience negotiating with insurance adjusters, and aren’t intimidated by the prospect of litigation.
To schedule a free consultation with our legal team, please reach out to us online or by phone today. We are here to work for you.