The impact and speed involved in car accidents can have devastating effects on your neck. According to traffic accident statistics, collisions cause approximately 80,000 neck injuries in the country every year. Neck injuries from car accidents can be mild and easily treatable. They can also have far-reaching consequences such as chronic pain or disability.
The most crucial step after sustaining a neck injury is to seek medical assistance. Discuss your symptoms with a healthcare provider and begin treatment. Once this is done, contact El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers to discuss your compensation eligibility with their top Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers.
We will answer any questions you have about your injuries. We will also evaluate your case and help you file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
Movement of The Neck During a Car Accident
The neck is a very delicate part of your body. Despite this, it is not well-protected during a collision. It remains unrestrained during impact and may jerk rapidly back and forth or from side to side during a crash. It could also get hit by loose objects or flying debris in the vehicle.
The sudden rapid movement of the neck can severely affect the neck muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves. If you anticipate a collision, you might tense your neck muscles. This could increase the level of strain experienced during impact.
Symptoms of Neck Injury
You may fail to experience any signs of neck injury for hours or days after the accident. Late-occurring symptoms are usually attributed to choking and adrenaline. However, you should seek medical attention if you notice the following after a crash:
- Neck pain that radiates to the arms, shoulders, and hands
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Headaches, dizziness, or blurred vision
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in the arms or legs
Common Neck Injuries
Car accidents can cause a wide range of neck injuries. These injuries could range from mild to life-threatening. Depending on the nature of the crash and your position during the accident, you could experience the following:
- Whiplash — Whiplash is caused by the sudden backward and forward movement of the neck during an accident. It often results in damage, tears, and strains in the neck muscles, nerves, and ligaments.
- Soft tissue damage — This includes sprains, strains, and tears in the neck muscles. It can cause tenderness, pain, and stiffness in the neck.
- Neck fracture — A neck fracture is a severe injury. Without treatment, it could cause problems in the spinal cord and possible paralysis.
- Facet joint injury — Facet joints aid in stability and mobility. An injury to this area could reduce your range of motion.
- Cuts and lacerations — If you get struck by loose objects in the vehicle or flying debris, you could suffer cuts to the neck area.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
You should never ignore neck injuries from car accidents. When left untreated, they can have painful, permanent, and life-altering consequences. Learn to recognize the symptoms but always seek medical help after an accident, even when you don’t experience pain.
Car accident victims in California can receive compensation for their injury-related losses. Are you worried about your treatment costs? Call El Dabe Ritter Trial Lawyers or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.