- How do I know if a motorcycle helmet is acceptable under my state’s helmet law?
- In a case with multiple heirs, how are damages divided?
- Will My Health Insurance Coverage or Paid Sick Leave from Work Limit My Recovery For My Motorcycle accident?
- Is There Anyone Other Than the Drivers and Passengers Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision That I Could Sue for My Damages?
- Will My Attorney Need To Retain Experts To Prove Liability And Damages Even Though My Injury Is So Obvious?
- Who can sue for an amputation injury?
Do I need a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer to get compensation
- July 26, 2016
When most people become victims of car accidents, the first thing they think about is whether they need a lawyer. While it’s possible to get compensation without hiring a personal injury lawyer – it’s not a great idea. Many people mistakenly believe they can’t afford a lawyer. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. That means they don’t collect any money upfront. They only get paid if they are able to get compensation on behalf of the victim. In exchange for this, the lawyer takes a % of the final proceeds as payment.
Often, we find people who try to negotiate directly with an insurance company get paid less than those with representation. The thing to remember is that insurance companies make money – by making the lowest payout possible. Many victims often sustain lifelong injuries. Some victims incur serious damages, like spine problems, joint damage, and even brain damage. Some have permanent disabilities and can never work. When this happens, the victim loses his/her income and has to live on measly disability checks.
In addition, with rising medical costs – it’s crucial you ensure that not only current expenses – but future medical expenses as well be covered. It’s likely that if you work with a personal injury attorney, you’ll be able to secure a much higher final verdict/settlement.