- How do I know if a motorcycle helmet is acceptable under my state’s helmet law?
- In a case with multiple heirs, how are damages divided?
- Will My Health Insurance Coverage or Paid Sick Leave from Work Limit My Recovery For My Motorcycle accident?
- Is There Anyone Other Than the Drivers and Passengers Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision That I Could Sue for My Damages?
- Will My Attorney Need To Retain Experts To Prove Liability And Damages Even Though My Injury Is So Obvious?
- Who can sue for an amputation injury?
Do I Need a Los Angeles personal injury attorney Or Can I Handle the Claim?
- July 26, 2016
Often, many victims decide to take legal action after they are hurt. They wonder if they should hire an attorney or not. The person who injured you is most likely going to have an insurance provider. That company will also have their own lawyers, who are going to attempt to squash your case. When you realize this – you’ll understand it behooves you to hire an attorney. It’s crucial you have someone who understands the legal system, and who can help you obtain a settlement based on your injuries. Filing a claim is more than just filing forms. You have to make sure you can prove liability and in addition, damages. If there are no damages, the claim has significantly less value. Not only must you show there are damages, you have to prove those damages are from the defendant. That means you have to conduct a very extensive investigation that covers all your bases. Insurance companies know that most injured victims are ignorant, when it comes to the law. Having an attorney on your side means you won’t be bullied, or swayed to settle for a minor settlement. It increases your bargaining power, and can lead to a much larger settlement.
In some instances, it might be necessary to go to court. When that happens, you have to not only identify witnesses, but have to litigate the case in court. This may sound easy – but this isn’t small claims court, it can be difficult to know all the procedures. At the end of the day, while you can try handling your case on your own – it’s going to get messy real quick.