- How do I know if a motorcycle helmet is acceptable under my state’s helmet law?
- In a case with multiple heirs, how are damages divided?
- Will My Health Insurance Coverage or Paid Sick Leave from Work Limit My Recovery For My Motorcycle accident?
- Is There Anyone Other Than the Drivers and Passengers Involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision That I Could Sue for My Damages?
- Will My Attorney Need To Retain Experts To Prove Liability And Damages Even Though My Injury Is So Obvious?
- Who can sue for an amputation injury?
Baldwin Park Motorcycle and Bicycle Accident Lawyers
- October 4, 2016
Motorcycle Crash Fatalities – How A Baldwin Park Accident Lawyer Can Help
- On May 3, 2016, a truck and a motorcycle collided at the intersection of SR60 and Grand Avenue west of Highway 57. The motorcyclist was transferred to a hospital for treatment of a possible broken leg.
- On June 18, 2015, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reported that a man in his 20s was fatally injured when he lost control of his brand-new Harley Davidson, was thrown from his bike and run over by a Greyhound bus on westbound Interstate 10 near Puente Avenue.
- June 19, 2012, a 19-year-old man riding on the back of a motorcycle was killed and the driver suffered multiple fractures when they collided with a car backing out of a driveway on Patriti Avenue, according to the Baldwin Park Patch.
- According to the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, a 20 year-old man was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle and spun out of control on Harlan Avenue and struck two cars. The accident happened on March 3, 2009.
What all four accidents, and motorcycle accidents all over the country, have in common are families and friends struggling with the sudden loss of a loved one. In addition to the maelstrom of emotions, responsibilities for coordinating practical arrangements and coping with various bureaucracies, families have to face brutal financial realities.
California Wrongful Death Law
In addition to funeral expenses, there will be medical costs associated with life-saving efforts. Young families may be faced with the loss of the main wage-earner. When a death occurs as a result of the negligent behavior of another person, California law allows for the families of the deceased to seek financial compensation.
The path of least resistance is to allow the insurance companies of the parties involved to fight it out among themselves who is responsible for the accident. This is not necessarily the best option. Insurance companies represent the interests of their policy holders, not to mention the people who hold shares in the company. Their motivation is to keep pay-outs as low as possible.
Leaving settlement in the hands of the insurance companies may not necessarily be the road to justice for the deceased. This is where families need the involvement of a Baldwin Park motorcycle accident lawyer.
The Role of the Lawyer
In three of the accidents described above, the rider of the motorcycle lost control of his bike. They were also within a few miles of each other. Why? Are the roads unsafe? All three were close to major highways. Many motorists find it hard to adjust their driving speed when they move from the open road to commercial and residential side streets.
A lawyer who focuses on this type of accident may have access to experts who can analyze the circumstances of a particular crash down to the minutest detail. It’s easy to blame the guy who ‘lost control of his bike,’ but what if the real cause of the accident is the agency in charge of making sure speed limit signs are visible or keeping road surfaces clear and free from oil spills.
These are just a few reasons why everyone should have the name of a Baldwin Park motorcycle accident attorney on speed dial long before they require legal assistance. Bereaved families, and the deceased, need someone representing their interests and the interests of justice in the broader sense.